Thread: Redundant servers

Beans

Redundant servers

Ok new idea here.. (I enjoy just "playing" with things to see if and how they work)

ok here is the senerio...

I wanted to host a few websites on a local dedicated server... I've seen VMWare (too expensive).. and heard of ubuntu doing virtuilaztion. The question I have is... if I creat a web server...is their a way to have a second one running along side it to pickup if the first fails, complete with all databases, files, ect... The idea here as you ahve guesed is to have a second server pickup if the first fails. I'm not above reading documentation and learning my way through it if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Redundant servers

I would believe a) it would be a mirrored server, or b) a load balanced server.

Beans

Beans

Thank you for your replies... I looked at Linux HA looks like it might work.

My total intent here is 1 physical server with atleast 2 virtual servers for the purpose of web hosting.

If I want to update a package on one of the servers I don't want the website some come down... and vis versa for the other server.

I know this kind of deffies the purpose the redundant system ...exspecially if your hardware server fails.. but this is mostly a learning experience more than production.

Thanks again...

Beans

Just a quick question, what makes you say VMWare is too expensive? VMWare ESXi is free for a full featured bare-metal hypervisor. Might be worth having a look at.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/