Thread: PXE Install finishes, but no subsequent booting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool PXE Install finishes, but no subsequent booting.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A55-S106 with a bad CD-ROM. It can't boot to USB, so I've taken to doing PXE installs.

I had done a PXE install for 9.10. After the install, GRUB told me that it couldn't find the UUID. I was able to edit the grub config file and remove references to the UUID and it booted okay.

I tried to do an upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04. The whole upgrade finished, and upon rebooting I saw the purple Ubuntu screen with the red dots, then a blank screen and no hard drive activity. I'm able to read the drive in a LiveCD Environment, but I can't figure out how to make it boot yet.

Fearing for the drive, I put a second hard drive in the laptop and installed 10.04 fresh, again using PXE. Same deal -- install finishes, purple screen, then blank screen and no hard drive activity.

Here's a video of the laptop in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0VgfOA05T0 -- the status lights from left to right are "plugged in", "power on", and "hard drive".

I feel like this is probably the same issue as before -- where I should go into GRUB and fix the issue, but I can't figure out how to get into GRUB in 10.04!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? I have some data on the first hard drive that I'd like -- not irreplaceable, but it would save me some time if I could get the drive to boot. (I apparently said "yeah, encrypting my home directory sounds like a great idea!!")

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: PXE Install finishes, but no subsequent booting.

Could there be some piece of hardware in my laptop that isn't supported anymore? It is fairly old, after all. Or maybe some install flag I can set?

Anyone?