Thread: dbus-daemon is consuming memory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

dbus-daemon is consuming memory

Hi all,

I've just upgraded to 10.04. I love it. I've been running dark themes for a long time and this upgrade merged seamlessly with my setup.

There is a nasty problem that I've noticed on only my desktop box (laptop is fine, also upgraded to 10.04). The dbus-daemon is hogging approximately 50% of my cpu cycles.

Is there a way to limit this? I'm watching this via the System Monitor and the % CPU. My laptop registers its dbus-daemon % CPU as 0.

Solutions?

Thanks.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2 Gb RAM, Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI, ASUS EN7950GT 512 Mb, 20" Samsung 205BW
    1TB SATA II HDD, 80GB IDE HDD,
    ASUS M50VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: dbus-daemon is consuming memory

Well, it's gone from bad to worse. At this point, I've lost all the panel menus, super key functionality is gone, and Alt+F2 doesn't work either.

The bizarre thing is that compiz is working. That's great but isn't worth a hill of beans if I can do nothing but spin the desktop.

Every time I upgrade to a new distro something like this happens and I end up having to do a fresh install.

If the upgrade doesn't work or is buggy then just say that I need to do complete install.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2 Gb RAM, Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI, ASUS EN7950GT 512 Mb, 20" Samsung 205BW
    1TB SATA II HDD, 80GB IDE HDD,
    ASUS M50VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi
    for dbus-daemon have a look at the command line interface ( in a terminal type: man -k dbus - this will show you all the
    commands and function calls wich are available for dbus [ for you i think only section 1 ( 1 ) is for interesting. )
    try: dbus-monitor
    and have a look at your /var/log logfiles ( messages, syslog etc. )
    good luck
    ciao
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

Just in case it helps, you can see http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1437780