Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 10.04 final + intel 855GM + upgrade disaster

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: 10.04 final + intel 855GM + upgrade disaster

The bug is in the video driver code in the kernel that shipped with Lucid (2.6.32). Since Lucid will always use that kernel, it will always be affected by the bug. Developers don't backport fixes; they apply the fix to their upcoming release and tell people to upgrade, in this case to the 2.6.38 kernel (which ships with Natty).

Since the bug is in the Lucid kernel, you'd need to apply any patches to the Lucid kernel. It would be counter-intuitive to apply a patch designed to fix the Lucid kernel to the Karmic kernel, which isn't even affected by the bug. The problem is with Lucid, so you need to fix Lucid, not Karmic.

And P.S., don't upgrade distributions. Always boot the LiveCD and do a fresh install. Some will tell you that upgrading is safe, but others will tell you that most of the problems posted in this forum after a new release are due to an upgrade which didn't go perfectly (there are just way too many variables and things to mess up when you're upgrading and configuring thousands of packages all at the same time, including the kernel and the boot loader). This is especially true the more times you upgrade -- i.e. upgrading to Lucid might cause a bug or two, upgrading from that buggy install to Maverick will compound those bugs, and upgrading from that even-more-buggy Maverick install will give you a pretty "interesting" Natty install. Unless everything goes perfectly. Which, if you find that happens a lot to you, you might be OK.

And you can't skip releases when upgrading. You have to go through each, i.e. Lucid->Maverick->Natty. Unless you're running LTS releases, which can upgrade to the next LTS release (i.e. Dapper ->Hardy->Lucid->yet-to-be-named-12.04-release).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Yes, I already feared that.
    Ok, a fresh install... Luckily I have a separate /home, but I will have to make a list of all the additional things I've installed over time... Any suggestions how to make that easier? Not everything is in the repositories (yet)...

Something else: I understand the problem is especially with the 2.6.32-kernel. There are rumours there is a 2.6.34-kernel for Lucid available... Any chance this might be in the 10.04.3/4 version?

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by t.h.w. View Post
    Yes, I already feared that.
    Ok, a fresh install... Luckily I have a separate /home, but I will have to make a list of all the additional things I've installed over time... Any suggestions how to make that easier? Not everything is in the repositories (yet)...
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with that. You could google around to see if there are any tricks or utilities. Just make sure you backup your data on all your partitions before trying to install anything.

Quote Originally Posted by t.h.w. View Post
    Something else: I understand the problem is especially with the 2.6.32-kernel. There are rumours there is a 2.6.34-kernel for Lucid available... Any chance this might be in the 10.04.3/4 version?

Thanks again!
    No, there is no chance that Lucid will ever have a different kernel. And the point releases (10.04.1/2/3/4/etc) aren't real versions. They're just respins of the ISOs using the current versions of packages in the repositories. It's just so that when you install the LTS a year or two after it was released, you don't have to upgrade 95% of your packages because a newer version was pushed to the repos after the LTS shipped.

The kernel team has also offered backported kernels from future versions for the LTS versions. I haven't been keeping up on it, but back during Maverick you could install "linux-meta-lts-backport-maverick" or "linux-lts-backport-maverick" (can't remember which) to install the current Maverick kernel on Lucid. You could try using -natty instead of -maverick and see if it gives you a working kernel. Definitely something to look into.
    Last edited by Catharsis; August 8th, 2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    And you can't skip releases when upgrading. You have to go through each, i.e. Lucid->Maverick->Natty. Unless you're running LTS releases, which can upgrade to the next LTS release (i.e. Dapper ->Hardy->Lucid->yet-to-be-named-12.04-release).
    To overcome my troubles I have upgraded to Natty. The Live CD offered the possibility to upgrade from 9.10 to 11.04 in one go, keeping my /home and partitions intact. Nice. Only thing is: I have to install again all my additional programs, but hey, good opportunity to clear those programms I didn't use a lot any more...

Greetz!

Beans
    Distro

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that everything is working well for you.

Just one additional piece of information: From Maverick and on, Ubuntu defaulted to not use the -intel graphics driver for i8xx cards, because of all the bugs. It's using a framebuffer driver instead, which gives pretty sub-par performance and very few features. So if you find an issue with either of those, you should switch to use the -intel graphics driver instead. The Natty kernel contains the fix to the original problem, so you can safely use the -intel driver again. This is exactly what I'm doing with my Natty install and it's running wonderfully, no problems at all.

To use the -intel driver instead of the fbdev framebuffer driver, just make an xorg.conf file
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and paste the following into it
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
            Driver          "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
            Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
            Device          "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    Save, reboot, enjoy.

If you need to revert you can just delete the xorg.conf
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Of course, if you're happy with Natty the way it is, please don't feel urged unnecessarily to switch video drivers. It's your computer, so you should do whatever you want with it. Just wanted to make sure you had all the info.
    Last edited by Catharsis; August 11th, 2011 at 09:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro

OK, thanks, I would like to make use of all the meager graphics I have.

It does solve some speed issues, but now my youtube full-screen is in black&white.... ???

Seems to be a problem that more people have...:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post11140663
    Last edited by t.h.w.; August 11th, 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Found thread with same problem...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567