Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highest Quality CD Ripper

Beans

Smile Highest Quality CD Ripper

I was just wondering what is the highest quality CD ripper application. Size does not matter, but quality does. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Highest Quality CD Ripper

You are asking about the SOUND quality and not the ripper program quality i suppose? generally the sound quality does not depend on the program being used but on the codec or 'format' the ripper is set to rip to...

Let's suppose you simply use the Rhythmbox that you most likely have on your install already and you choose to import the tracks from a freshly inserted CD. You will find you have the option to choose the format these tracks will be stored as. Choose FLAC for highest (lossless) audio conversion. The tracks will be large in file size but you will be enjoying the highest sound quality If you want to reduce the filesize but still have relatively good sound quality you might try OGG. It is said to be better than ancient MP3. But both are lossy audio formats which means you are losing some quality.

Other rippers will likely have these same options.

Beans

Smile Re: Highest Quality CD Ripper

Quote Originally Posted by RavanH View Post
    You are asking about the SOUND quality and not the ripper program quality i suppose? generally the sound quality does not depend on the program being used but on the codec or 'format' the ripper is set to rip to...

Let's suppose you simply use the Rhythmbox that you most likely have on your install already and you choose to import the tracks from a freshly inserted CD. You will find you have the option to choose the format these tracks will be stored as. Choose FLAC for highest (lossless) audio conversion. The tracks will be large in file size but you will be enjoying the highest sound quality If you want to reduce the filesize but still have relatively good sound quality you might try OGG. It is said to be better than ancient MP3. But both are lossy audio formats which means you are losing some quality.

Other rippers will likely have these same options.
    I want the sound quality to be high. What about the WAV lossless codec. Isn't that good?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ttshivers View Post
    I want the sound quality to be high. What about the WAV lossless codec. Isn't that good?
    WAV is good, but FLAC will give you the same quality but with a smaller filesize.

Rubyripper is my ripper of choice at the moment, nice and simple, does what it says on the tin...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Agreed... Although WAV is lossless too, I prefer FLAC when saving CD quality because of the smaller file size. In sound quality there is no difference, they are both formats that save without quality loss.

Only I use Sound Juicer. It uses the MusicBrainz database for automatic track data and it has a really nice orange icon in the Ubuntu menu

Beans

If you want an EXACT copy there is: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
    Runs with Wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Kingdom View Post
    If you want an EXACT copy there is: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
    Runs with Wine.
    FLAC makes an exact copy, so there's no need for Windows software.
    I was reading a book about Genghis Khan when I made my account and I empathized with aspects of his life. It doesn't mean I want to kill everyone. You're taking the interweb too seriously. I'm trying to help you, seriously. Use the eye test.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    FLAC makes an exact copy, so there's no need for Windows software.
    I think OP is asking about rippers, not encoders.

I recommend cdparanoia. Similar to Exact Audio Copy, it tries to make perfect rips (even if the CD is scratched etc.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd add another plug for EAC. It is generally regarded as the best ripper available and it does run fine under wine. And if you want the highest quality available then go with uncompressed wav files. Flac is great too and does reduce the file size but some audiophiles seem to think that it produces a slightly flat soundstage. Personally I would say that the difference is inaudible even on extremely high-end HiFi installations. However I do still use wav as I'm not worried about file size and so I don't see any point in compressing the files. Other rippers such as cdparanoia are very good, but not as feature rich as EAC, and may is some very unusual circumstances produce bad rips.

Hope this is useful.

MacBookPro 5,3> High resolution Technologies Musicstreamer+ USB DAC> Rega Brio 3 Amp > Image Loudspeakers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you don't mind using Wine, CDex is a great open source cd ripper. Been using it for years. Make sure to get the 1.5 version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast