Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing event sounds in 10.04

Beans

Changing event sounds in 10.04

Ever since 9.04 or thereabouts, I have noticed that it's impossible to change individual system event sounds in System -> Preferences -> Sounds. It only gives me a few lame choices of "themes". While it used to be possible to define my own sounds for startup, shutdown, new e-mail, etc, I can't find ANY dialog to facilitate this in newer versions of Ubuntu.

A question: HOW do I do this without having to hack apart my stock system sounds? There should be a way, but google and forum searching turns up nothing.

A comment: Ubuntu continuing to "nerf" their dialogs like this is infuriating, especially when the underlying system works so well. I actually don't know if Ubuntu or Gnome is responsible, but either way taking away rock-bottom basic functionality like this only hurts the OS and Linux's cause.

Beans

Re: Changing event sounds in 10.04

I feel your pain.
    Two upgrades ago I was able to personalize my sounds, now I cannot figure out how. There is no "Sound" option in System>Administration, as well with System>Preferences. I like the most recent upgrade (10.04) "lucid", but am disappointed that they did not bring back the sounds option. I can't even figure out how to change my login/start-up sound. The default Ubuntu start-up sound has lost its lustre with me. I know how to able/disable it, but not customize it.
    On a positive note, one of the major things I LOVE about Ubuntu, is that I keep "getting to know" my computer, as though I just got it. I'm never bored. Annoyed, at times, but never bored.
    Many Thanks!

Beans

Actually if you check the ubuntu software repository you will find themes and tweaks, it would appear that gnome,kde,and xfce were separated as native support I would have to say that the new system has alot to be desired for hopefully next system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hey, I am a relative beginner with Ubuntu and even I am looking for a way to assign various event sounds...Is there no one who has done this? 'Coz I couldn't really find anything with Google.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@Dr.grUDgE: This should be quite simple:

- make a copy of "/usr/share/sounds/ubuntu"
    - give it a desired name
    - edit the file "index.theme" in it (open it from within the text editor)
    - enter the chosen name instead of "Ubuntu"
    - place your custom sounds in the subdirectory "stereo"
    - rename them according to existing ones, after renaming/deleting each existing one before
    - check/correct the permissions accordingly
    - select your newly created sound theme via "System -> Preferences -> Sounds"

Greetings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ok..i'll try that, but what about if I want to define a sound for some event other than these, for eg. like for opening folders, etc. Can this be done with this method? What should I name the sound files if yes?
    Thanx in advance

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.grUDgE View Post
    ok..i'll try that, but what about if I want to define a sound for some event other than these, for eg. like for opening folders, etc. Can this be done with this method? What should I name the sound files if yes?
    Thanx in advance
    I don't believe that it's possible, but you may google that, if you have the leisure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    @Dr.grUDgE: This should be quite simple:

- make a copy of "/usr/share/sounds/ubuntu"
    - give it a desired name
    - edit the file "index.theme" in it (open it from within the text editor)
    - enter the chosen name instead of "Ubuntu"
    - place your custom sounds in the subdirectory "stereo"
    - rename them according to existing ones, after renaming/deleting each existing one before
    - check/correct the permissions accordingly
    - select your newly created sound theme via "System -> Preferences -> Sounds"

Greetings.
    Like always, its possible to change stuff, but to have to edit text files to customize sounds feels a bit awkward - especially knowing how simple it was just a few distros ago. I can understand design decisions to make things simpler, but at least give users an option to "revert" to older behaviour.
    On Ubuntu since December 2005 (5.10 onwards)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alfh View Post
    Like always, its possible to change stuff, but to have to edit text files to customize sounds feels a bit awkward - especially knowing how simple it was just a few distros ago. I can understand design decisions to make things simpler, but at least give users an option to "revert" to older behaviour.
    I agree. Though I don't know the history of the system sounds, since I always turn them off completely. But as you will probably know, it's a similar case with the ability to customize the login screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There is a quite easy way to change the annoying drum beating sound at login for 10.04 (Lucid). First get the path to the sound file you want to use. Then System->Preferences and then "Startup Applications". Scroll down to "GNOME Login Sound" and double click it. It has the familiar [Browse] button to search for the sound file you want. Don't use it! Using the browse button will wipe out the preceding command in the command box. There is no option to revert to the original sound either. I had to boot my Lucid CD in test mode to get the command that was missing and it is fixed now.

This is what needs to be in the box to change your startup sound:

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --file=/path/filename

Obviously, change the /path/filename to the path and filename of your file. For example, mine happened to be:

/home/rif/sounds/lightstrike.wav

This WILL NOT change any other system sounds. So depending on the theme you chose, you will still be stuck with all those other defined sounds. I haven't attempted the method described by "Krytarik" yet though... so there is still hope. BTW, some sounds are controlled by programs, such as new mail arrival detection.
    Last edited by RifRaf1961; July 3rd, 2011 at 01:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast