Thread: start mysql before jabber

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

start mysql before jabber

Currently when the system boots, It boots jabberd2 before mysql. So jabber fails. Then, later mysql is loaded. I either want to force jabber to load mysql first, or make the system boot mysql first. I've tried changing /etc/init.d/jabberd2 to say "# Required-Start: mysql $network $named $remote_fs"... however, insserv says that mysql service has to be enabled... so I assume that's an issue because mysql is an upstart script. Any ideas?

Re: start mysql before jabber

Manually, does it work ? If you start first mysql then jabber ?

If yes, you can simply add a delay to the jabber script.
    You can add: sleep xx &
    xx for xx seconds
    Freedif.org, news & tutorials on self-hosting services.
    Idipops, the social network for the services

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually it would be better to adjust the init scripts sequence value. If you check update-rc.d documentation you will find that you can provide an "NN" value. This value specifies the order in which the service is started when init loads the run level. Adjust those so mysql is lower then jabber for starting and higher for stopping so that mysql isn't stopped out from under jabber and it can shutdown clean.
    Xipher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dudumomo View Post
    Manually, does it work ? If you start first mysql then jabber ?

If yes, you can simply add a delay to the jabber script.
    You can add: sleep xx &
    xx for xx seconds
    That's bad practice (in general); today it might need one sec delay, tomorrow 20 sec delay.
    It would be better to let the script check if mysql is running.

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu server setups (I use Slackware servers), but I think that Xipher has the correct solution in the post above.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Indeed, seems far better !
    Freedif.org, news & tutorials on self-hosting services.
    Idipops, the social network for the services

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Xipher View Post
    Actually it would be better to adjust the init scripts sequence value. If you check update-rc.d documentation you will find that you can provide an "NN" value. This value specifies the order in which the service is started when init loads the run level. Adjust those so mysql is lower then jabber for starting and higher for stopping so that mysql isn't stopped out from under jabber and it can shutdown clean.
    So, I believe that this worked on jaunty, when mysql wasn't converted to upstart. However, now there is no mysql process listed in any of the /etc/rcRUNLEVEL.d/ directories. I have tried creating my own symlink for /etc/rc2.d/S10mysql to the mysql init script, since that would make it start before /etc/rc2.d/S20jabberd2, however this still didn't work. My assumption is that since upstart is supposed to init processes asynchronously, that making the symlink to it, in fact just starts running upstart. Especially since when I read the /etc/init.d/mysql init file, it seems to just makes upstart calls.
    Last edited by outdooricon; May 4th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.