Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: five things we all want to see in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

five things we all want to see in ubuntu

http://lifehacker.com/5355900/five-f...-see-in-ubuntu

i like the "open in windows 7" idea. that would be sick.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: five things we all want to see in ubuntu

I'm definitely for "Integrate dual-booting and virtualization"

I wish I could boot my Win7 into the VM window somtimes, instead of having to install a different windows in a virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro

well i heard that you can boot an existing windows install with vbox, but it fries the install so that it can only be booted with vbox. Think its cause vbox need all the different drivers that mess it up.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    well i heard that you can boot an existing windows install with vbox, but it fries the install so that it can only be booted with vbox. Think its cause vbox need all the different drivers that mess it up.
    Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. (And it's not just drivers, but also partition tables.) I imagine that you could use UnionFS or AuFS to "patch" the Windows partition in realtime, but that would be really, really messy.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Game support, hopefully steam will roll out a linux client along with their mac one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

More OEMs with Ubuntu pre-installed

More users - say 25% of the OS market in desktops similar in laptops etc.

Arm smartbook with Ubuntu pre-installed (Arm notbooks I can buy rather than read about would be nice)

From this game support, better driver support more Windows apps ported to Ubuntu will follow

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    More OEMs with Ubuntu pre-installed

More users - say 25% of the OS market in desktops similar in laptops etc.

Arm smartbook with Ubuntu pre-installed (Arm notbooks I can buy rather than read about would be nice)

From this game support, better driver support more Windows apps ported to Ubuntu will follow
    lol %25??
    that wont be happening for a looong time.
    +1 on the OEMs though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by prions View Post
    Game support, hopefully steam will roll out a linux client along with their mac one.
    They have a Linux client in the works (as you'll know if you've been following Phoronix,) but there's no guarantee they'll actually release it.

I think one thing I'd want in any Linux distro is the phasing out of pure GCC in favor of Clang and the like.
    Last edited by MaxIBoy; May 4th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by prions View Post
    game support, hopefully steam will roll out a linux client along with their mac one.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've got to disagree with them on the cloud thing. It's a nice and possibly sometimes convenient feature, but the cloud is overhyped, goes against, to some degree, what the internet is all about (decentralization), and is in general not a priority for an OS to have integrated. Sure, an offsite backup is good, but you should have at least one backup that is on disks *you* control, rather than some company off somewhere on the Web. And there's certain data (banking data, etc), that I wouldn't trust to the cloud in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast