Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU

Beans

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU

installed 10.4

after that got the advice to install a dedicated driver for the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU

and after that my display was a mess

what should I do now

Windows7 ?

Beans

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU

Same problem for me.
    I have installed 10.04 32 bit version on a Sony Vaio F based on Intel i5 Core and nvidia GT 330M graphic.
    Using the driver provided is very difficult to set the correct resolution, the laptop has a native res of 1920x1080 pixels but in any combination the graphic screen appear bigger than lcd screen...
    Using purposed restricted driver system can't start regularly xorg.
    I've tried also to install latest driver downloaded from nvidia site (version 195.36.24) with no luck...
    I hope to find a way to get right resolution with provided driver (performance is not so important) perhaps trying editing xorg.conf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrcsft View Post
    Same problem for me.
    I have installed 10.04 32 bit version on a Sony Vaio F based on Intel i5 Core and nvidia GT 330M graphic.
    Using the driver provided is very difficult to set the correct resolution, the laptop has a native res of 1920x1080 pixels but in any combination the graphic screen appear bigger than lcd screen...
    Using purposed restricted driver system can't start regularly xorg.
    I've tried also to install latest driver downloaded from nvidia site (version 195.36.24) with no luck...
    I hope to find a way to get right resolution with provided driver (performance is not so important) perhaps trying editing xorg.conf
    My laptop is the same type with the same problem: the resolution you see is the resolution of the external monitor about 2000 x 1500. My hope now is that the latest driver (195.36.24 end of April 2010) will be made available in the 10.4 environment

Beans

The strange thing is that looking at the list of supported products for the latest 32 bit driver for Linux (195.36.24) NVIDIA GT 330M does not appear...

Here is the link (you have to click on "SUPPORTED PRODUCTS"):
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...195.36.24.html

Beans

The 330M does appear however in the 64 bit driver list!

Beans

i have to same problem too. no matter which resolution i set it to, it displays bigger than the screen. i have the Sony Vaio F series with Intel i7 processor and Nvidia GeForce GT 330M and and when i install the driver for the video card, it just messes up the whole display. After the restart, the resolution is stuck on 800x600. its usable but i want to make use of my native resolution which is 1920x108o.

Beans

Hi all,

I had the same problem on my Sony Vaio F series once I upgraded to the new kernel, shipped with Lucid, even prior to Lucid was released.

I managed to fix it.

What I found was that Lucid's kernel (I believe all >= 2.6.32 kernels) has built-in driver for nvidia, called "nouveau". This one is built right into initrd image and is the one that causes the workspace to be bigger than the actual screen.

Naturally I though of installing invidia drivers instead of nouveau, but that wasn't easy. I couldn't unload nouveau in any way (I believe because it's built-in and not shipped as module) and with nouveau loaded nvidia's installer would fail.

So what I had to do first, was to disable the nouveau driver. I did it by putting the following parameter to /etc/default/grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nouveau.modeset=0". Then I had to invoke sudo update-grub.

Having added this parameter, I rebooted and got 800x600 resolution, bacause now there was no driver in kernel to support the 330M GPU (but naughty nouveau was finally gone!). Switching to command--line mode by "sudo service gdm stop" and by installing nvidia latest drivers (195.36.24) I almost got it done, but, not yet. Original nvidia driver loaded, but failed to correctly draw anything on the screen.

After searching a bit I found on the page linked in the bottom of this post that Sony Vaio F's LCD panel EDID isn't recognized by nvidia drivers automatically, so you have to "help" drivers in this matter: after finishing installing nvidia drivers (and before the reboot) you have to add the following lines to "Device" section of xorg.conf:

Code:
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0: /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID"
    and only then reboot. You'll be happy to see log--in screen in fullhd!

NVidia's driver still behaves strangely on my Sony (no sound over HDMI, poorly working display backlight settings, no ability to switch to text mode via CTRL-ALT-N (1--6)), but general functionality is ok, including native fullhd desktop resolution, 3d acceleration etc.

PS A lot of Sony-Vaio F Series related problems in Linux are discussed here: http://code.google.com/p/vaio-f11-linux
    Last edited by TheRawGod; May 4th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Beans

Thanks

TheRawGod....

you saved my life!

thanks thanks thanks

Beans

Raw God: you rule. I've been working tirelessly on this problem for about a week and a half now and would never have fixed it without your AWESOME (noob-ified - to read: right at my reading level) instructions. I wish this thread were more visible for user of the vaio f11 series with the nvidia display problem (nothing like a good old fashioned display problem that's multi-layered - ie: xorg.conf editing to get the drivers to see the lcd, the removal of the integrated neaveau drivers to make way for the demi-functional 195.36.24), and the spurious (and ancient) comments and info from other users utilizing older software... How can we make your solution more visible? It will save peeps TONS of time... VAIO F11 NVIDIA display problems in ubuntu lynx 64? Something... because your instructions were the only things that got it done for me. The whole counter-intuitive "do this before you reboot" seems to be one of the areas where I went wrong on my own. Anyway, thank you thank you thank you.

Cheers!

Beans

You're all welcome!

I've spent myself quite a lot of time trying to find information on how to fix those issues, along with conducting lots of experiments before I got it working, so I'm really glad that my efforts appeared to be useful for others.

As I have written above, you may find reasonable to track changes on these threads: http://code.google.com/p/vaio-f11-linux/. They're updated more or less rapidly and cover most of problematic areas of vaio F + ubuntu integration. Doing so you may expect to be "on the edge", until some time when everything finally starts working as expected

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast