Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Lynx - Google Chrome (as well as Chromium) causes computer to freeze

Beans

Angry Lucid Lynx - Google Chrome (as well as Chromium) causes computer to freeze

I've been searching around for this on Google but I can't find anything. I've also checked the Chrome bug reports and can't find anything that's the same problem I'm having.

Google Chrome is causing my computer to crash (everything including mouse freezes and caps-lock flashes).

I installed a fresh install of Karmic a few weeks back. I installed Google Chrome using the deb from Google's main Chrome page. I upgraded to Lucid the night after it was released. It ran fine for a while. The night after I upgraded I had my first crash. I restarted my computer, restored my tabs in chrome, browsed for only a minute before the same thing happened. This time I didn't restore my tabs in Chrome. After a few minutes of browsing the same thing happened. I used Firefox and didn't have a problem. I opened Chrome and within seconds it crashed. I have yet to have this problem without Chrome being opened.

I completely removed Chrome (apt-get purge and removed the ppa from my sources). Reinstalled it - same problem. I removed it again and tried Chromium, same problem. I installed Chromium with the dev channel. Same problem.

I've talked to several people who are using Lynx and don't have this problem. I tried running Chrome from the terminal to see if it would dump anything before the crash, but it doesn't.

Since I just installed fresh just a few weeks ago, it wouldn't be that difficult to do a fresh install, but I really would prefer not to as I'm in the middle of a semester at school and I use my computer heavily. I suppose it's not the end of the world to have to use Firefox, but I really prefer Chrome.

I was hoping someone here could help me out. Maybe help me find some kind of log to figure out what's causing this. Should I file a bug report?

Just a side note: I never had a crash using Karmic.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p. Running the 64bit version of Ubuntu (gnome) Lucid Lynx.
    If you need any more details let me know. I can easily reproduce this problem.

Thanks for the help.

Beans

Re: Lucid Lynx - Google Chrome (as well as Chromium) causes computer to freeze

It's been stable, very stable, for me under both Karmic and Lucid, especially compared to the random Flash crashes I experienced under Windows. Unlike you though I did a clean install of Lucid.

Frankly, I've been using the Dev versions for a while now and have never had it lock up my laptop. Might crash the browser, but for the most part, the sandbox approach works well and I usually just lose the tab.

Best way is to either use the Page Icon>Developer>Developer Tools or Javascript Console and step through the code, if you can.

In addition, enable (I thought it was on by default in Beta/Dev Builds) logging and see if you can catch what's faulting.

Here's a link:

http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/enable-logging

Good luck...

Beans

The crashing of Chromium-browser just happened to me after upgrade from karmic to lucid.
    I had an entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.dchrome.list.distUpgrade and karmic version of chromium-browser was installed. After removing all source lists for chromium I reinstalled the proper version. Now its working fine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

download the .deb straight from Google after removal. If your trying to install from repo you're repo might be fubar'd. I'm running Chrome fine...I just had to put my damn icon back after installing 10.04...it's like the upgrade reset my gnome-desktop
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This looks like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/546871 - bug affecting chrome users running lucid on thinkpads. Does
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath
    show the module ath5k?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm using chrome on a thinkpad and haven't had any problems, but I installed it through the ubuntu software center, maybe this has something to do with it?

Beans

I'm running Karmic, and Chromium was running perfect up until I did an updated this afternoon, now it's freezing constantly. Its so unuseable I'm back into firefox.
    This seems related.
    Are You the Ubuntu Guru?
    "By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.”
    ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Beans

Angry Re: Lucid Lynx - Google Chrome (as well as Chromium) causes computer to freeze

Same situation here, after upgrade to 10.04 after starting Google Chrome it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes and the system hangs and is unusable until reboot. Doesn't seem though to happen with Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Wink Re: Lucid Lynx - Google Chrome (as well as Chromium) causes computer to freeze

Quote Originally Posted by 98cwitr View Post
    download the .deb straight from Google after removal. If your trying to install from repo you're repo might be fubar'd. I'm running Chrome fine...I just had to put my damn icon back after installing 10.04...it's like the upgrade reset my gnome-desktop
    +1 for this advice.

Beans

I am having the same problem on a MacBook 1,1. I did a fresh install of Lucid Lynx and downloaded the .deb directly from google. It worked fine for the past few days, but today it started crashing every few minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast