Thread: Ubuntu 10.4 LTS & Quantum GIS (QGIS) 1.4 (Ubuntu version)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ubuntu 10.4 LTS & Quantum GIS (QGIS) 1.4 (Ubuntu version)

I have installed both OS and GIS in my pc and they integrate well. This is good news for GIS users who want probably the most user-friendly open source GIS...QGIS!
    Last edited by badaveil; May 4th, 2010 at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu 10.4 LTS & Quantum GIS (QGIS) 1.4 (Ubuntu version)

That's good news, badaveil, I have been waiting for Quantum GIS to be installable in 10.04 for a long time now.
    The last time I checked it looked as if there was a repository there for it in https://launchpad.net/~qgis and I found another page off that for 'unstable, which led me to one of the most convoluted, inside-out and back to front set of instructions for how to add a repository I have ever seen in my life. No matter how hard I tried I wasn't able to get it, and I wasted hours and hours of my precious time. It was extremely frustrating, it seemed as if it was there, and yet I just wasn't able to get it.

This time I am looking again in qgis-stable and in qgis-unstable but I can only find quantum gis for earlier versions of Ubuntu.

Ah, okay, finally I have found it, but it took a separate internet search to do that, for some reason I wasn't able to get there from their main page.
    Quantum GIS for 10.04 is here, https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable?field.series_filter=lucid

Now for the complicated part ... understanding their hopelessly complicated instructions!

It's only thanks to your thread, sir, in previous versions of Ubuntu that I have ever been able to use Quantum GIS at all.
    I will try to figure it out again, but I might need help.
    Last edited by Herman; May 3rd, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro

1) Here are the official instructions,
    Adding the PPA to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) and later

If you're using the most recent version of Ubuntu (or any version from Ubuntu 9.10 onwards), you can add a PPA to your system with a single line in your terminal.
    Step 1: On the PPA's overview page, look for the heading that reads Adding this PPA to your system. Make a note of the PPA's location, which looks like:
    ppa:gwibber-daily/ppa
    And here is what I did,
    Okay, so I copy: ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable to my system's software sources?

So I went 'System'- 'Administration' - 'Software Sources', and clicked the tab for 'other software'.
    Then I pressed the 'add' button down in the lower left-hand corner and up popped a dialog for the apt line, and I pasted in: ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable and my 'add source' button became active, so I clicked it.

All seems good so far.

2) Here are the official instructions,
    Step 2: Open a terminal and enter:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:user/ppa-name
    Replace ppa:user/ppa-name with the PPA's location that you noted above.
    And here's what I did,
    Code:
    herman@tsunami-lynx:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
    [sudo] password for herman: 
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 6B827C12C2D425E227EDCA75089EBE08314DF160
    gpg: requesting key 314DF160 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: key 314DF160: "Launchpad ubuntugis-stable" not changed
    gpg: Total number processed: 1
    gpg:              unchanged: 1
    It seems like it's not working.
    Your system will now fetch the PPA's key. This enables your Ubuntu system to verify that the packages in the PPA have not been interfered with since they were built.
    I tried again,
    Code:
    herman@tsunami-lynx:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 6B827C12C2D425E227EDCA75089EBE08314DF160
    gpg: requesting key 314DF160 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: keyserver timed out
    gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error
    It still seems like it's not working.
    What an I doing wrong?

EDIT: Oops - Hey it worked!
    I ignored the apparent error messages and went into Synaptic Package Manager regardless, run 'reload', and searched for qgis and it was found!

Now I have Quantum GIS 1.4.0-Enceladus open and ready for me so start work!

Thank you, for letting me know it's available at last, badaveil, and I hope I wasn't bothering you here. Sorry if I annoyed you. That turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.
    Last edited by Herman; August 20th, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

After doing this on one more computer, I found that we can skip step 2, it seems as if the key must be getting added automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You should have just asked me how?:

1. Copy everything below then go to accessories/gedit text editor and save as "qgis publickey"

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
    Version: SKS 1.0.10

mI0ESgc8TwEEANnh7UAVSnJoE8fyLMss5VUuG+1Bw5W2XWEyxu OCfMMAnJq4FY7YOjaFwX37
    KdPTy5/+NVqegazUbB3WV8d21aRhN977HXYztt/1Ft73m30FLbZC3vRwaMg5oaWQ/XAy9ONY
    8QND/ahhSNf3d8wyrfAlG2RLaUeASDXqMBOU2fKVABEBAAG0GkxhdW5 jaHBhZCB1YnVudHVn
    aXMtc3RhYmxliLYEEwECACAFAkoHPE8CGwMGCwkIBwMCBBUCCA MEFgIDAQIeAQIXgAAKCRAI
    nr4IMU3xYG3iA/0dnVOYqpLayEgzmlJ6mwJnVKcL+tGRfNsKQTHe77skFBcO/YyLez29HJJJ
    S0xGtkZ+bUEQ3mdKnV/jGK4ygeSouItfz3fM3/PvVbZMbARUTzOdIR/Hv8GUyVhY3dPR8NEy
    w0Op41kCOuxZBVU985IQHDDQe6Fw1q6IFjOES0NMjQ==
    =gZdQ
    -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

2. Go to file system/etc/apt/sources.list enter administrator password/authentication/import key file (search for that qgis public key you saved)

3. Now select sources.list/other software/add/type "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/u...nstable/ubuntu lucid main"

4. Now select sources.list/other software/add/type " main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/u...nstable/ubuntu lucid main"

5. Select close. You will told you are out-of-date, select yes (I think) and all necessary files will be downloaded to the pc.

6. Go to system/administration/synaptic package manager/type "qgis" under quick search/select qgis(if this file along with 5 other related files are not there, you did not go step 1-5 properly)right-click qgis/select mark for installation/select apply. When the status box of qgis and 3 other related files turn green, you have succeeded!

7. Go to main menu/science/quantum gis/plugin/fetch python plugin/repositories/add 3rd party repositories. All plugins will download.

8.In the QGIS Python Plugin Installer, select plugins/select not installed plugin of your choice/install/upgrade plugin. Repeat and select other not installed plugins of your choice.

9.Go to main menu/science/quantum gis/plugin/fetch plugin/select plugin of your choice to enable it.

10.In the QGIS Python Plugin Installer, select options/tick "check for updates on startup/select "once a day". Because of this, when new plugins are available or upgradeable, it will be made known in the lower QGIS panel.

THE END
    Last edited by badaveil; May 4th, 2010 at 02:06 AM.

Beans

That's great news. I use it for work and I also wanna continue testing certain plugins for it. The DL pages need to be more clear as the Lucid option wasn't visible, so I figured I'd have to compile from source. Quick googling of this thread helped me get it done the easy way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hey thanks for this.

I used to use QGIS in Intrepid, but have now upgraded to Lucid. Alas, although I got QGIS to work using your instructions, I found it very unstable and also unable to load MrSid raster files, which basically made it unusable. When I was running QGIS on Intrepid I loaded the stable repository, and then made some modifications that I saw somewhere on a forum to allow MrSid files into an upgraded 1.4.0 edition, that was extremely stable and worked well.

Alas, I can't find the repositories for the stable 1.0.2 version. Do you have any info on where they are, and / or allowing MrSid files to be read in QGIS.

Regards,
    BB