Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.4 LTS & Quantum GIS (QGIS) 1.4 (Ubuntu version)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu 10.4 LTS & Quantum GIS (QGIS) 1.4 (Ubuntu version)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Same thing as before, being redirected to some thai website that doesn't load? Is that just me or does the same thing happen to you?

Beans
    Distro

Hey, that link is finally working. But actually today I've just installed the latest version of QGIS 1.5 Tethys. Alas, the MrSID file format is still not accepted on an Ubuntu system. Please post if you find a solution.

Regards,
    BB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello badaveil,

Mine is upgraded automatically to Tethys too.
    I followed your instructions in steps numbered 7, 8, 9 and 10 from post # 5, some time ago and now I have 92 plugins available. Wow!
    7. Go to main menu/science/quantum gis/plugin/fetch python plugin/repositories/add 3rd party repositories. All plugins will download.

8.In the QGIS Python Plugin Installer, select plugins/select not installed plugin of your choice/install/upgrade plugin. Repeat and select other not installed plugins of your choice.

9.Go to main menu/science/quantum gis/plugin/fetch plugin/select plugin of your choice to enable it.

10.In the QGIS Python Plugin Installer, select options/tick "check for updates on startup/select "once a day". Because of this, when new plugins are available or upgradeable, it will be made known in the lower QGIS panel.
    Thanks for your great advice again!
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro

After much suffering I have finally managed to get QGIS 1.5.0 Tethys up and running on Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid LTS fully integrated with MrSID file formats. The Ubuntu GIS guys have a tutorial on how to do it here
    http://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/wiki/TutorialMrSid

Beans

I'm very glad there are GIS users around the community. I have used arcGIS a little a couple of years ago and now I'm retaking it since I found a job that will require some GIS skills... kind of a dream come true since I always wanted to work hard with GIS and never found a real opportunity to do so.

I have found using open source GIS a little painful, something always comes up during the installations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I used to find qgis difficult to install too for some reason, but not this time.
    Give it a try, you might be in for a pleasant surprise!

My job involves GPS and GIS work too. In an effort to be helpful, I have been adding random information quietly in another thread. Some of it pertains to getting started with Quantum GIS, some is about using Tango GPS and some is about Google Earth, here it is in case anybody is curious, usb gps on ubuntu. how to, maybe...

Regards, Herman

PS @ BigBaka, thanks for sharing, I don't have any MrSID files yet, but if I do get any I'll know where to look up how to use them.
    Last edited by Herman; August 20th, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by cespinal View Post
    I'm very glad there are GIS users around the community. I have used arcGIS a little a couple of years ago and now I'm retaking it since I found a job that will require some GIS skills... kind of a dream come true since I always wanted to work hard with GIS and never found a real opportunity to do so.

I have found using open source GIS a little painful, something always comes up during the installations.
    At the time of writing, QGIS 1.4 was the latest version, now, 1.5 version is. Friends and me who see how the 1.5 performs agree it is impressively fast in zooming in and out as against 1.4. Installing the windows version is chicken feed for a GUI-man like me though installing the Ubuntu version isn't that difficult once you copy and paste the appropriate script which I got advised from a QGIS forumer.

Beans

Can you help me on this?It seems I cannot download qgis directly from the repositories....
    Last edited by cespinal; August 20th, 2010 at 11:12 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    I used to find qgis difficult to install too for some reason, but not this time.
    Give it a try, you might be in for a pleasant surprise!

My job involves GPS and GIS work too. In an effort to be helpful, I have been adding random information quietly in another thread. Some of it pertains to getting started with Quantum GIS, some is about using Tango GPS and some is about Google Earth, here it is in case anybody is curious, usb gps on ubuntu. how to, maybe...

Regards, Herman

PS @ BigBaka, thanks for sharing, I don't have any MrSID files yet, but if I do get any I'll know where to look up how to use them.
    Hi Hernan... as far as I am aware, I will be working with database management and georeferencing streams of satellite imagery...I know is not a very hard thing to do but I can't wait to get my hands on that!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast