Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server upgrade, 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Server upgrade, 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

Currently, I'm running Ubuntu server 9.10 and running samba, vsftpd, and openSSH. Should I upgrade to 10.04 since it's an LTS release?

I've never done a server upgrade, so I don't know if its a good idea. The old motto "If it ain't broken don't fix it" comes to mind.

I guess what I'm most concerned about is that the upgrade will mess up one of the above mentioned services, or system settings like ufw, network, and cron job config's.
    Never let a computer know you’re in a hurry.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Server upgrade, 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

What I usually do if I want to "upgrade" is image the machine, then do a clean install with the new OS.

You can try running the upgrade and seeing if it works ok, but I prefer just doing clean installs, that way there isn't a whole lot of "leftovers" around.

YMMV ofc.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can you recommend a not-to-ridiculously-complicated way if imaging the system hard drive, lol?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm in the same boat. Only, my server is completely headless (not even on-board video on it), and all of my workstations are diskless, booting off it. In other words, I have ONE shot at this I'll probably wait until I get a laptop, it will also give me a month or so for some post-release bugs to be weeded out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I user clonezilla livecd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I forgot about CloneZilla, I've used that in the past. Thanks CharlesA.

Xianath- One question, why do you have that setup?

Beans

I use Acronis True Image. Works great. will have to look at clonezilla.

Beans

Beans

Going back to the OP's question about whether or not to upgrade -- I am of the opinion that if your server is not broken, then you shouldn't fix it. Continually updating places a working server at risk of being broken by an upgrade. If downtime is not a problem then go for the update. OTOH if downtime is a problem then avoid it.

The only times that I'll update a server is when one of these conditions is met:

1. A security breach has been discovered that presents a real threat, so an upgrade is necessary
    2. A problem has been encountered that requires an upgrade to repair it
    3. A new functionality exists in the upgraded software that doesn't exist in the current software, so an upgrade is necessary to obtain the new functionality.

IMO if you can't meet one of those criteria, then the decision should be not to upgrade a server. I am presently looking at upgrading a Gentoo based server that I built in 2005. The only reason I'm even thinking about replacing it is because of reason (3): I want to deploy new features and the system is no longer upgradeable due to its age. So now its time for a complete OS rebuild. Instead of completely rebuilding this server from source code using Gentoo, I'm currently auditioning packaged distributions.

WRT my personal opinions on Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS, see my MOTD thread about a potential security issue. I know that I should duck for cover as I say this, but I find the MOTD issue to be a deal breaker for Ubuntu. I really like Red Hat Enterprise 5.4 or CentOS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The only reason I can see to upgrade is so that you are running a LTS release. But that might just be my opinion. I'll be running Ludic until EoL Probably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast