Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remastersys - Important Message - Please read if you use remastersys

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation Remastersys - Important Message - Please read if you use remastersys

This is Fragadelic the dev of remastersys.

Last night our complete webspace was hacked. My partner is working with the provider to clean it all up. As a result I have taken everything offline until it is resolved to ensure everyone's security and safety.

If you have downloaded anything from the remastersys repo since last night please do not use it. I will be restoring my backups shortly as I have been diligent about backing things up.

I need to take some time to audit everything prior to bringing it back online.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

If you have any questions you can email me at tb6517 At yahoo dOT com.

In the meantime if you want to get remastersys you can get it from my sourceforge site.

http://remastersys.sourceforge.net/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/remastersys/
    Last edited by Fragadelic; May 3rd, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Remastersys - Important Message - Please read if you use remastersys

Ok . And Iam sorry to hear that your system was hacked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please keep us informed of when things are back to normal. I was just about to download it. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you want a copy of remastersys during this outage, please email me and I will email it back to you.

The hosting provider has been completely hacked at the server level so I took everything offline. I am looking for a new hosting provider right now and will try to have things back up as soon as possible.

In the meantime the only thing I could do was to inform all of you.

The hack injected some stuff on the php files that directs to malware sites. For linux users this is not an issue but for windows users it is a very bad thing so I just took it all offline and it most likely will not come back up on the same url as I don't trust the provider any longer since they are denying they have any issues. My partner who actually owns the contract has been in contact with other website owners from that same hosting company and they are all having the problems.

I will not be having shared hosting and will establish my own entire web presence very soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My system and all my files are intact as I have always had an offline copy that I upload from so rest assured that everything is ok. I most likely will not bother touching any of those files on the current server and will just delete them all since I have a pristine offline backup anyway.

I don't think any of the deb files are touched or affected since this is all about infecting windows machines but I am not taking any chances.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    My system and all my files are intact as I have always had an offline copy that I upload from so rest assured that everything is ok. I most likely will not bother touching any of those files on the current server and will just delete them all since I have a pristine offline backup anyway.

I don't think any of the deb files are touched or affected since this is all about infecting windows machines but I am not taking any chances.
    It's a pain in the posterior when something like this happens. All the best in your search for a hosting provider that you are comfortable with, and keep up the good work with remastersys.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here is a security blog about the issue:

http://blog.sucuri.net/2010/05/secon...es-hacked.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wow, I was about to use remastersys, it sucks that this has happened. I'll email you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well...it is not looking good for me having my own website.

Some less than nice company has registered remastersys.com - http://www.whois.net/whois/remastersys.com

This is complete and utter BS IMHO.

I will not pay a ransom to a domain squatter to get a name that I came up with and is only used by my project.

This was kind of the last straw. Remastersys is all but officially dead now. I don't need all of these extra headaches so I am just going to pack it in right now.

I apologize to those that have come to count on it and enjoy it. Those that have donated to my project will continue to get email support till May 1st, 2011.

No new versions will be put out to the public.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    Well...it is not looking good for me having my own website.

Some less than nice company has registered remastersys.com - http://www.whois.net/whois/remastersys.com

This is complete and utter BS IMHO.

I will not pay a ransom to a domain squatter to get a name that I came up with and is only used by my project.

This was kind of the last straw. Remastersys is all but officially dead now. I don't need all of these extra headaches so I am just going to pack it in right now.

I apologize to those that have come to count on it and enjoy it. Those that have donated to my project will continue to get email support till May 1st, 2011.

No new versions will be put out to the public.
    Dude, don't kill the program itself, you can always host it on sourceforge.
    I am sorry you might have lost your domain[s], but theres always alternatives.
    Do NOT give up please, we need you and this program.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast