Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Hey i install ubuntu 10.04 this morning... A gud experience till that when i came to know that there in no nm (network-manager) applet in my panel as a result of which i m unable to connect to the wireless network......
    can anybody plz help me in getting the nm applet on to panel so that i m able to carry on my work in the wireless network.
    thanx for your help in advance
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans

Re: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Hi,

Sounds like you don't have it setup yet. If you know your card is working, go to System: Preferences: Network Connections. There you can enter your router's connection name, SSID, and other needed information.

dalee

Beans

This is the same problem I'm having. Different wireless cards, reinstalled Ubuntu and the wireless applet still disappears at random. I have to shutdown or log into another user account to connect. The notifications panel is terrible. You can't tweak it or add a new network manager to the panel. If this problem persists I'm giving up on this release. It is not stable - several lockups (black screen with a only cursor showing) when I switch users or log-out. This is not ready for primetime, not even close. They should have delayed it for months of testing. After 5 years of ubuntu use and being a strong advocate, I'm considering to give up and switch back to Windows 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try adding the Indicator Applet to the panel, maybe that got removed for some reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    Try adding the Indicator Applet to the panel, maybe that got removed for some reason.

i tried that. itz opening a panel but that too without the nm applet........
    feeling frustrated bcoz never faced such problems
    plz help me guys
    thanx in advance
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, open a terminal and copy and paste this in:

Code:
    nm-applet --sm-disable
    It will start the applet. You can then manually add it to startup sessions.

If that doesn't work, just install wicd, it's a different network manager and is often more reliable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie-o View Post
    This is the same problem I'm having. Different wireless cards, reinstalled Ubuntu and the wireless applet still disappears at random. I have to shutdown or log into another user account to connect. The notifications panel is terrible. You can't tweak it or add a new network manager to the panel. If this problem persists I'm giving up on this release. It is not stable - several lockups (black screen with a only cursor showing) when I switch users or log-out. This is not ready for primetime, not even close. They should have delayed it for months of testing. After 5 years of ubuntu use and being a strong advocate, I'm considering to give up and switch back to Windows 7.

Sadly this ^. I've been a strong advocate of Ubuntu, and in the past the only major issues I had was installing the restrictive-extras. Everything else just worked. This is the first release, where I'm getting a lot of bugs, and it doesn't "Just Work". Now, I don't mind working on my computer, and usually I can resolve issues. However, this is my only computer so if this goes, I lose all my data. In the future I'm going to wait a month or two before upgrading. But 10.04 is nowhere near a stable release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i m having one more problem with 10.04... it is not showing me grub too...
    no "grub loading and menu list" there......
    plz help me
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ankur1990 View Post
    i m having one more problem with 10.04... it is not showing me grub too...
    no "grub loading and menu list" there......
    plz help me
    i resolved this by making changes in the /etc/default/grub ..........
    its wrks now but the problem of the nm-applet still exsist after too much attempts too..
    sad
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans

I agree completely!!

I was on Ubuntu 8, upgraded to 10.04 and now I have 2 issues that make me ready to jump to Win 7 also:
    1) minor - Screen resolution for Dell 17" will not set at 1440/900 correctly - fine in Ubuntu 8 with some config work of course. Can only get to 1280x854 now.

2) show-stopper - nm-applet won't f&*^ing show up.

So many posts saying where it is or that it isn't started. Come on ... anybody surviving and attempting to run Ubuntu or any linux can do a ps -ef, probably fix compilation problems, etc.

I have tried vpn client which won't compile. Tried 4 patches but none work on 10.04. I wish I could have this command line option back instead of this garbage, non-existent nm-applet.

Tried KVpnc also since nm-applet won't appear. No luck there either but at least something was trying to use the cisco config and attempt. It asked me for the group password even though the enc_GroupPwd is in the pcf file. Every other client seems to understand this and not prompt for it.

Now to find the code inside of nm-applet so we can connect to Cisco VPN in 10.04 directly.

WTF ... awful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast