Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Hey i install ubuntu 10.04 this morning... A gud experience till that when i came to know that there in no nm (network-manager) applet in my panel as a result of which i m unable to connect to the wireless network......
    can anybody plz help me in getting the nm applet on to panel so that i m able to carry on my work in the wireless network.
    thanx for your help in advance
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans

Re: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Hi,

Sounds like you don't have it setup yet. If you know your card is working, go to System: Preferences: Network Connections. There you can enter your router's connection name, SSID, and other needed information.

dalee

Beans

This is the same problem I'm having. Different wireless cards, reinstalled Ubuntu and the wireless applet still disappears at random. I have to shutdown or log into another user account to connect. The notifications panel is terrible. You can't tweak it or add a new network manager to the panel. If this problem persists I'm giving up on this release. It is not stable - several lockups (black screen with a only cursor showing) when I switch users or log-out. This is not ready for primetime, not even close. They should have delayed it for months of testing. After 5 years of ubuntu use and being a strong advocate, I'm considering to give up and switch back to Windows 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try adding the Indicator Applet to the panel, maybe that got removed for some reason.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie-o View Post
    This is the same problem I'm having. Different wireless cards, reinstalled Ubuntu and the wireless applet still disappears at random. I have to shutdown or log into another user account to connect. The notifications panel is terrible. You can't tweak it or add a new network manager to the panel. If this problem persists I'm giving up on this release. It is not stable - several lockups (black screen with a only cursor showing) when I switch users or log-out. This is not ready for primetime, not even close. They should have delayed it for months of testing. After 5 years of ubuntu use and being a strong advocate, I'm considering to give up and switch back to Windows 7.

Sadly this ^. I've been a strong advocate of Ubuntu, and in the past the only major issues I had was installing the restrictive-extras. Everything else just worked. This is the first release, where I'm getting a lot of bugs, and it doesn't "Just Work". Now, I don't mind working on my computer, and usually I can resolve issues. However, this is my only computer so if this goes, I lose all my data. In the future I'm going to wait a month or two before upgrading. But 10.04 is nowhere near a stable release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie-o View Post
    i m having one more problem with 10.04... it is not showing me grub too...
    no "grub loading and menu list" there......
    plz help me
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    Try adding the Indicator Applet to the panel, maybe that got removed for some reason.

i tried that. itz opening a panel but that too without the nm applet........
    feeling frustrated bcoz never faced such problems
    plz help me guys
    thanx in advance
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, open a terminal and copy and paste this in:

Code:
    nm-applet --sm-disable
    It will start the applet. You can then manually add it to startup sessions.

If that doesn't work, just install wicd, it's a different network manager and is often more reliable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ankur1990 View Post
    i m having one more problem with 10.04... it is not showing me grub too...
    no "grub loading and menu list" there......
    plz help me
    i resolved this by making changes in the /etc/default/grub ..........
    its wrks now but the problem of the nm-applet still exsist after too much attempts too..
    sad
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    Well, open a terminal and copy and paste this in:

Code:
    nm-applet --sm-disable
    It will start the applet. You can then manually add it to startup sessions.

If that doesn't work, just install wicd, it's a different network manager and is often more reliable.

command still not wrking........
    any more suggestions ??????? waiting for that
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast