Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resume from Suspend/Hibernate Issue in 10.4 Release

Beans

Resume from Suspend/Hibernate Issue in 10.4 Release

I installed the 32-bit Lucid Lynx release on my Dell Inspiron 1501 a couple days ago. Using the open source drivers, everything works nicely except resume from suspend/hibernate; I get to a black screen and can't get to GDM at all, forcing a manual reboot. My card, a Radeon Xpress 1150, is only legacy supported by ATI at this point, so the proprietary driver is no longer a viable option. Using the s2ram/s2disk program(I currently forget the name, but it is a common solution to my problem) results in a black backlit screen with a blinking cursor.
    Last edited by Remwen; May 2nd, 2010 at 07:01 AM.

Beans

Re: Resume from Suspend/Hibernate Issue in 10.4 Release

Im experiencing the same issue on my inspiron 9200. I think the issue stems from the (lack of) support for my mobility radeon 9700 gfx card. Has there been any fixes for this issue? Im really enjoying lucid but if I cant suspend my laptop, im going to have to return to karmic...

Beans

I have the same computer (Inspiron 1501) and I'd just like to chime in and say that I have the same problem. I can't resume from suspend all the time and it's really really annoying. I have Arch installed on a separate partition and the suspend doesn't work there either. I have Vista installed on another partition where suspend works flawlessly.

Everything else in Ubuntu 10.04 is fantastic, I absolutely love it, but this suspend issue is driving me insane. It's so annoying to suspend my computer, put it in my backpack, get to class and open up the lid not known if it'll resume from suspend properly or not this time. I haven't tried uspsusp yet, but if it didn't work for you it probably won't work for me (I might try it anyway though).

Why can't linux have decent working suspend support? It's very frustrating. It's really the only thing that doesn't work perfectly on my laptop, but it's extremely important to me. If someone knows of a way to get suspend going correctly I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: Tried uspsusp and it didn't work. It actually took longer and then ultimately still crashed. Oi.
    Last edited by Killerah; May 9th, 2010 at 11:25 PM.

Beans

I had ArchLinux installed on my Lenovo S10 netbook with an Intel graphic chip. Did you once try to boot in console mode with the kernel option "nomodeset" ? Search the Arch Wiki, also for Kernel Mode Setting (KMS). With Ubuntu 10.4 UNR, things seems to be (at least for me) more complicated (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/568711). At the moment, I can "pm-suspend" from console without problems (there was a kernel update some days ago that could have had some positive effects).

Beans

I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04... At first SUSPEND/RESUME works great(and resumes fast)... after several usage I experienced the BLACK SCREEN... so far nobody has posted any support or solution about this that RESOLVED this issue... i'm just using HYBERNATE as of now, its slower but does the job well...

I'm using a VAIO VGN-SR35G with INTEL 4500M video card....

Beans

File a bug report or mark one as affecting you.
    Here's one I filed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/568711

Someone reported purging grub2 and reverting to grub-legacy as a workaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by koymack View Post
    I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04... At first SUSPEND/RESUME works great(and resumes fast)... after several usage I experienced the BLACK SCREEN...
    I found the topic that help me "resolve" the issue with suspend/hibernate:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/568711
    Last edited by anachoret; May 15th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anachoret View Post
    I found the topic that help me "resolve" the issue with suspend/hibernate:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/568711
    What steps from that bug report helped you resolve the suspend and resume issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by StuartN View Post
    What steps from that bug report helped you resolve the suspend and resume issue?
    Do suspend/hibernate without mounted SD-card.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

suspend with karmic on my inspiron 1501 worked all the time, but it is broken on lucid.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast