Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: To upgrade or not?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    22

    To upgrade or not?

    I am sitting here considering whether to upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS. I am currently running 8.04 on a dell inspiron 1525n which came from the factory as it currently is. The only thing that I would lose that cannot be retrieved would be the linwin dvd software that came installed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    5

    Re: To upgrade or not?

    i give u an

    alt + f2 then
    Code:
    update-manager -d
    enjoy!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Beans
    193
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: To upgrade or not?

    I typically wait a month or so; lots of new bugs will be discovered over the next few days. I find it best to wait a bit for things to settle down first.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tāmaki Makau-rau, NZ
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: To upgrade or not?

    I would suggest making a complete backup of your install, either with something like CloneZilla or Tar.

    Then, whatever you do, you can just reinstall your Hardy system if everything goes south.
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions
    BACKUP before installing or upgrading.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    22

    Re: To upgrade or not?

    Went ahead and did a clean install and things went pretty good. Had no major problems and everything working as well as expected. Thanks for you posts,

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •