Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cursor is always busy cursor after upgrade to 10.04

Beans

Exclamation Cursor is always busy cursor after upgrade to 10.04

Am running Ubuntu NBR as the sole OS on my Dell Mini 9. Switched over in March to 9.10 NBR. Everything worked fine.
    Upgraded to 10.04 when it was released. It's awesome EXCEPT for this busy cursor thing.
    As soon as I log in, all the time my cursor is the spinning wheel of busyness.... It works just as a normal cursor would - my computer also does not seem to be slower due to any operations...
    If I open an application, the cursor will behave as usual within the window but if I more my cursor to the title bar or switch out of the application, the "busy cursor" resumes.

I am very confused? Anyone else having this problem?

Beans

Re: Cursor is always busy cursor after upgrade to 10.04

Try this solution. It worked for me. I had told Ubuntu One to not load at bootup, since I don't use it but, it was still in the .gtk-bookmarks file. Once I removed the Ubuntu One line and rebooted, all was back to normal.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...51#post4414151

Beans

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi there,
    I am currently using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 9.10. Although I followed your steps on the other thread, however, I could not find the x-nautilus-。desktop:///Music%20on%20server.volume‘ or anything similar to it inside my .gtk-bookmarks file. This is what mine showed:

PHP Code:
    file:///home/bailey/My%20Files
    file:///home/bailey/Music
    file:///home/bailey/Pictures
    file:///home/bailey/Videos
    file:///home/bailey/Downloads 
    The loading mouse cursor happens within nautilus items on the desktop (for example, title bars, top panel and the drop down menus, and the file browser), and on AWN. There might be still some others that I have yet to uncover. I am not exactly sure what caused this, but I kind of remember it happening when I was using Compiz on the computer.
    I have to use the terminal so often nowadays just to fix the abundant problems Ubuntu has, that I am starting to learn the Linux code. Kind of a good thing coming from a bad thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Cursor is always busy cursor after upgrade to 10.04

I have the same problem with 10.04 LTS on a Samsung NC-10. Cursor just spins all the time. Neither the .gtk-bookmarks fix or the Ubuntu One fix worked. Anyone have an other ideas?

Beans

I have the same problem with 10.04 LTS on an ASUS eee 1005h and it just occurred after the update to lucid. The cursor start spinning after the login and never stops. I tried to disable ubuntu one without result. Also .gtk-bookmarks file seems to be ok. What's really disappoints me is that, while the 90% of the session have this busy cursor, in some session the cursor is back to normal and I can't understand why.
    If anyone have an idea about how to solve the problem it would be really great!

Beans

Well, the previous "fix" I found only worked for a short time. Still, on most boots I get the busy cursor and have not found the cause yet. Nautulis is waiting for something....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Red face Re: Cursor is always busy cursor after upgrade to 10.04

Actually, I might have found the possible problem that's causing all of this. I remember sometimes when I shut down the computer, it'll say, "The following programs are still running" and one of them will be "Unknown-Not Responding" which then I have to click on "Shut Down Anyway" at the bottom right corner of the window. However, I'm not sure what exactly it is, since it doesn't tell me what the program is that's not responding.
    It's possible that the program is actually compiz since it was the cause of the spinning cursor. Hoewever, this has in some cases spread to Metacity too so I might be wrong.
    I have to use the terminal so often nowadays just to fix the abundant problems Ubuntu has, that I am starting to learn the Linux code. Kind of a good thing coming from a bad thing.

Beans

I have the same problem. Tried the fixes outlined above and they didn't help. Did anyone manage to solve this?

Thanks.

Beans

I'm stumped. I created a new user and it doesn't have the problem, so I can replace the config files one at a time to find out what is causing it, or just move my files and change the owner to a new user.... boy, either way is going to be fun...

I'll post my results when I get time to do either of these.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast