Thread: Open Remote Console / Access VMWare Server 2.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 Lucid

Beans

Open Remote Console / Access VMWare Server 2.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 Lucid

Hello,

Using fresh install of Ubuntu Linux 10.04 Lucid Lynx you cannot by default access VMWare Server 2.0.2 running on different machine. I was able to solve this by combining several tips I have found around Internet but since I have not seen it all at one place, I have decided to document it here.

Lets assume your VMWare 2.0.2 server runs on different machine with IP address 10.20.30.40. By default if you try to open URL

https://10.20.30.40:8333

Firefox 3.6 will not be able to open it. To fix this type about:config in the Firefox address bar, hit Enter and click button to promise to be carefull.
    In the Filter box type security and hit Enter.
    Change security.enable_ssl2 to true.

Go back to https://10.20.30.40:8333 and this time it should open the Login page and allows you to login. Login and click on your running virtual machine in the left pane (if it is not running, then start it). Then click on the Console tab. You will get an option to install the plugin. Install it and restart Firefox. If you try to go back to the console tab, you will see that the plugin is installed, but you cannot invoke it. You will get an error. It seems that integration between Firefox 3.6 and the plugin is broken. But since the plugin was installed properly it will still allow you to start it with command line.

Try to execute following command in the terminal

~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc -h "10.20.30.40:8333" -M "YOURVMID"

YOURPROFILE is the name of your Firefox profile. Find it just by going to the above directory.
    YOURVMID is ID assigned by VMWare to your VM. There are several places on the Internet which describe how to find it so I won't duplicate it here.

If you try to run the command, you will get some errors and nothing will run. It is because the permissions are incorrect.

Run the following in the terminal

chmod 755 ~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/*

chmod 755 ~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/bin/*

chmod -r 755 ~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/lib/*

After this you can simply run

~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc -h "10.20.30.40:8333" -M "YOURVMID"

and the Remote Console and you can login to your server

To make it smoother, create file VM.desktop on your desktop, open in in text editor and enter the following text

[Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=VM
    Type=Application
    GenericName=VMware Remote Console
    Comment=Enables remote interaction with virtual machines.
    Icon=~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmwar
    e.com/plugins/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/vmware-vmrc.png
    TryExec=~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vm
    ware.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc
    Exec=~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmwar
    e.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc -h "10.20.30.40:8333" -M "YOURVMID"
    GenericName[en_US]=VMware Remote Console

Save the file, change the permissions to make it executable and now you can connect to your server just by double clicking on it.

Update 5/7/2010

In order to solve issue when VMWare Remote Console doesn't grab the mouse, please edit file

~/.mozilla/firefox/YOURPROFILE.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc

and as a first line after the comments enter

export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=yes

In order to solve issue when the arrow and other extended keys are not working in VMWare Remote Console, please edit (or create) file

~/.vmware/config

and add there line

xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true
    Last edited by bastafidli; May 7th, 2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added fixes for mouse grab and keyboard issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Open Remote Console / Access VMWare Server 2.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 Lucid

How can I find what my value should be for "YOURVMID"? Googling really doesn't turn up anything.

Beans

Re: Open Remote Console / Access VMWare Server 2.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by ben_l View Post
    How can I find what my value should be for "YOURVMID"? Googling really doesn't turn up anything.
    You'll find a good example here: http://www.systhread.net/texts/200910gsxwrap.php

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ben_l View Post
    Here is another way

http://planetvm.net/blog/?p=1316

"Search for a file named “vmInventory.xml” on your VMserver2 host and look inside for <objID>XXX</objID>"

Beans

thanks for collecting this info, it was very useful.

However, I did have to use the full path in the ".desktop" file; the "~" expansion does not work there. (at least for me).

Beans

God day.

A error with line => export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=yes, when execute ./vmware-vmrc -h.........

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcaberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Thanks.

Beans

Same issue here !

When using export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=yes got :

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcaberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Weird !

If i'm not using this env parameter my mouse doesnt grab the vm window !

Beans

Launching vmware-vmrc with sudo fix my problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I won't recommend remove the env parameter as it will tell vmware what GUI lib to use.

I have the same problem with canberra-gtk-module, however if it does not cause my virtual experience any problem at all.

Regards!

Beans

Hi..

I have this problem...

user@user-laptop:~/.mozilla/firefox/...MRC@vmware.com/plugins$ ls
    bin libconf open_source_licenses.txt vmware-desktop-entry-creator vmware-vmrc-daemon xkeymap
    lib np-vmware-vmrc-2.5.0-122581.so share vmware-vmrc vmware-vmrc-legacy

user@user-laptop:~$ sudo /home/user/.mozilla/firefox/e50mubam.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc -h localhost:8333 -M 16
    sudo: /home/user/.mozilla/firefox/e50mubam.default/extensions/VMwareVMRC@vmware.com/plugins/vmware-vmrc: command not found

when execute vmware-vmrc say command not found...

What can i do???

Thanks