Thread: Ubuntu switches to Console Mode After TV Input switchback

Ubuntu switches to Console Mode After TV Input switchback

Hi,

I have a Laptop on a docking station, running UBUNTU 12.10. I currently have the DVI out of the docking station connected to my HDTV, and I can happily display X at HD 1920x1080 resolution.

I am currently running Fluxbox, and this launches XBMC.

When the TV is set to the input that points to the UBUNTU machine, everything is good. I load up the OS. X starts without an issue.

However - when I switch TV inputs (perhaps to my Satellite receiver) and then switch BACK to my UBUNTU machine, X dumps me into console mode. All I see is text - specifically the text of the last bootup messages before X started.

I have noticed that the X is still running in the background. A ps command yields that.

The only thing thing I've been able to do to get out of it is reboot. Which is sub-optimal.

I did notice that if I disable DRI in my X configuration, this problem goes away. But then the speed of the display is VERY bad - the responsiveness of XBMC, specifically is slow.

I kick of xrandr at boot with the following:

Code:
    xrandr --output DVI1 --auto --mode 1920x1080 && xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
    I also notice that when I DON'T use xrandr i don't experience this problem. But then I have the problem where my display shows up on my laptop, even if its closed, AS WELL as the HDTV. This of course makes the system run much hotter.

So I like the control that xrandr is giving me, so I'd like to be able to keep using it.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do in this situation?

- Thanks,

Todd
    Last edited by todd.seidenberg@gmail.com; February 24th, 2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Left out some info