Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lucid upgrade causes USB automount problems (tips/advice)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: lucid upgrade causes USB automount problems (tips/advice)

Well crap, the Angels are tone-deaf. The fix was short-lived, it only worked until I rebooted. I should have known better.

OK Dev Team, why do HAL and udev not play well together? Somebody blew this up badly and it looks really embarrassing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did much more experimenting to test what, if anything HAL had to do with the problem.

Uninstall HAL and automount works until you reboot. Reinstall HAL and automount works until you reboot. I turned off floppy support in the bios and it made absolutely no difference in automounting. I installed pcmanfm-nohal to test its automount, no dice. I dumped that and loaded the standard pcmanfm using HAL support, no dice.

This is looking more and more like a bad script or a udev issue, possibly something with permissions? I'll give this another 24 hours to find a workaround, after that I kick Ubuntu to the curb. Again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just an update out of courtesy. Since the silence surrounding the USB automount failure is so overwhelmingly deafening, I have pulled the plug on Ubuntu, RIP. Fedora 13 does all that I am looking for and the damn automount works. I will miss the large repo of Debian apps but I will persevere. I've no doubt that either a Debian contributor or a Canonical employee will eventually figure out how to really fix this problem without the myriad of silly workaround suggestions I've seen that didn't work.

Happy Trails dudes and dudettes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I got it working but I have to boot in to VirtualBox, plug in my Blackberry, shutdown VirtualBox to get it to recognize it each time. Pita.. but it'll do in a crunch until a solution is coded in to an update later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I cant explain why it does, but I got this to work. Here's how I did it:

Plug in USB flash drive
    Launch palmiset, USB drive should be visible
    Format the drive to NTFS
    Use "Safe Removal" function to unplug the drive

Now, my USB drives automount just like before upgrading to Lucid even after rebooting the computer.

Like I said, don't ask me why, I am not a Linux geek (wish I was). All I know is that now automount works even dynamically updating the desktop icon. Seems too easy which makes me a bit uneasy. Will post follow up if it fails again but so far so good, even after a reboot.

Beans

...installing pmount and libpmount0.0 solved the problem for me. Thanks for the suggestion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just like many others, worked beautifully well for me (removed usbmount).
    Thanks & keep posting such gems

Beans

Thanks for the advice on this but mine tricky.

First - I upgrade to 10.04 and everything seems to work (everything that was Internet and programs)
    Plug in USB drive = nothing - no mount no root no nothing
    Try to launch Disk Utility - won't launch, just busy mouse icon, then nothing.
    Create root password, logout, login as root - launch Disk Utility - same deal - try to uninstall using graphical software manager and reinstalled it - no change (I have not fixed that problem yet)
    OK, so I check into things, get to this forum, try some things such as remove usbmount - wait it is not there, OK, install that.
    Now it mounts as root - what a pain in the a$$, logout, login as root - something was amiss in the drive, kept getting error when trying to view folder that it may have been moved or deleted - WTF (not going well so far).
    So I remove usbmount - reboot, nothing mounts, back to where I started. Reinstalled and removed HAL, same - root only. Removed HAL (sudo apt-get remove hal) and usbmount (sudo apt-get remove usbmount) then mounted using pmount -w /dev/sdb1 - works with access, OK, take a break and enjoy the music collection.
    Come back here, and then decide to install Thunar (sudo apt-get install thunar), it installs HAL and everything just works.
    So I guess my solution would have been to just install Thunar
    I am at the 2 year mark with Ubuntu as the only OS that I run, there have been some ups and downs but PLEASE, if there is going to be a LTS release - MAKE SURE IT WORKS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by syllamo View Post
    Thanks for the advice on this but mine tricky.

First - I upgrade to 10.04 and everything seems to work (everything that was Internet and programs)
    Plug in USB drive = nothing - no mount no root no nothing

Mine automount just stopped working after some updates. Everything still starts to work normally if I manually "sudo modprobe usb-storage" after boot. Still investigating what happened.

Beans

EUCHRID! LOVE OF MY LIFE!
    (don't tell the wife! LOL)

you solved a MAJOR problem. MAJOR. Ubuntu is baaaaack! Wooo hooo! awwwright!

You don't know how depressing it is to run a terminal and sudo this sudo that everytime i want to run a thumb drive. I was about to look for a bumper sticker: "Ubuntu fried my brain".

I agree with the above post that if Canonical release a "LTS" version, at the least they should make sure everything works.

******* R.I.P. every day you die a little more !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast