Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

This thread is here to discuss how to make Ubuntu work perfectly on the Eee PC T101MT touchscreen netbook.

The instructions on what has to be done after the installation of Ubuntu and more useful information can be found here in the Ubuntu wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT

If you have any problems with the instructions, other questions or ideas, this thread is the place to share them.

(This is a continuation of this old thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1442164)
    Last edited by Plippo; October 29th, 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Made more clear

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Hello, and thanks to all the people in both previous and this new thread for their work.
    I need to make some questions about Ubuntu Lucid on Eee PC T101MT.

The first problem is about the last kernel driver supplied by Plippo in this post. After some problems and failures in its installation, it works as expected. I can configure the pressure sensitivity and probe it in Gimp. But now the USB mouse doesn't work, and I can't fix it. With the first eeepc-t101mt-touchscreen package I have no problem with the mouse.
    I have some command outputs:
    Code:
    $ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ eGalax Inc. USB TouchController             id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation            id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ USB2.0 UVC VGA WebCam                       id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]

$ dmesg | grep mouse
    [    0.399777] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input4
    [    0.496470] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    The second problem is about the precision with the calibration of the touchscreen. I have tried very carefully to get a perfect calibration, even with a very fine stylus, but the touchscreen always have a little error, about 5 or 10 pixels, depending on the zone. The error is bigger in the borders of the screen. In Windows the calibration works much better, but a little error persists too. And there is a small zone in which I can't trace a straight line with drawing software. I'm thinking that my T101MT has some hardware failure so I would appreciate some feedback from your experience about the performance of the touchscreen.

Besides, I'd like to tell you that I have achieved the double click using the mouse properties, in the accessibility menu. It doesn't works fine, but is better than nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As an artist, this driver comes as a disappointment- pressure sensitivity is still broadly ignored by art applications, and when it does work (in gimp alone) it makes the program unusable with the touchscreen: Line width and opacity are almost impossible to control, half of these lines spontaneously become squiggles, at lighter pressures annoying dots are produced, and only 6 levels of a capacity for 256 levels of pressure sensitivity are used.

I have little other option than to revert back to windows or to learn how to build a driver myself.....

Beans
    Distro

These may be of interest:

ENAC has definitely made pressure sensitivity and multitouch work on the t91mt. http://www.youtube.com/user/Cybercom.../0/Ei58CkPxDr0

They use the mosart driver for the t91mt, though at the same time others have made egalax work on it. Since the t91mt and the t101mt are such similar computers, and since the egalax driver works on both, perhaps we could use the mosart driver as well. Either way, this looks like a good way of implementing real multitouch.

Beans
    Distro

If you want to record video, use guvcview. It's the only one I've been able to get sound working in. And it's a serious video capture gui, not a silly little toy like cheese.

Beans
    Distro

@mrspacklecrisp
    Does the Windows driver have any pressure sensitivity at all? If yes, I would be curious to know about it. The »6« has nothing to do with the levels of pressure, it is just the axis that reports the event. If you use an utility like evtest you see the driver reports much more different values. The driver reports the pressure value as it comes from the device, so if the sensitivity it gives you isn't enough for you, I'm sorry, but that's all the device reports.

Most art apps expect pressure sensitivity to be on axis 3, with this screen it's on 6, so they don't work correctly if they don't have an option to set the axis (like Gimp has). Maybe we can manage to change the order in which the axes are reported, I'll look into that.

The driver I packaged here is from ENAC, as Stéphane Chatty (StCh) from ENAC created it. He is also the person who created the Mosart driver for the T91MT. The driver I packaged is the Egalax driver, and it is different from the Mosart driver, because the screens are different and the Mosart driver doesn't work. The driver does support multitouch and pressure sensitivity, which you can also see by using evtest. If the T91MT has better pressure sensitivity (which I can't say from what I see in the video you posted) then it's because it's a different screen. The only reason you can't use Multitouch at the moment is because no standard Linux application supports it yet. The application used in the video seems to do, so if you find out which one it is, you will probably also be able to use it on the T101MT.

@minhato
    That the USB mouse doesn't work is strange, I also tried it out and it also doesn't work for me. I'll look into this and maybe ask StCh if I can't figure it out.

The problem with the calibration seems to be a hardware problem, I also have such a problem at the left edge of my screen, but it's only 1cm wide or so so it doesn't disturb me much, seems to be worse in your case. The problem is that we can only do a 4-point calibration with the current evdev driver in Linux. I guess the Windows driver calibrates with more points, that's probably why it works a bit better there.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I found and fixed the USB mouse issue, it was caused by a small mistake I made building the driver. The new version is online, so please first remove the old kernel module package (sudo apt-get remove egalax-multitouch-driver-*) and then download and install the new one: http://www.philmerk.de/dwl/deb/egala...21-generic.deb

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Beans
    Distro

I've uploaded yet another new version of the driver that maps the pressure to axis 3 (was easier than I thought, and also seems to give better results. Thanks mrspacklecrisp for nagging )

Now it should also work in other applications, I tested it with Xournal. In GIMP, you have to set the axis back from 6 to 3.

To install it, proceed as described in the previous post: Uninstall old driver, install new one, reboot, that's it.

Beans
    Distro

Hey, nagging works for wives. It means I'll make a good wife someday.

I must admit, I've been kind of a jerk. But I'm very impressed with the newest update. I still have wiggly lines in gimp, sure, but I now have it working flawlessly in xournal and my very favorite painting program, mypaint, is now accepting pressure input (It's still not usable in mypaint, but that's because of a known bug in the program and NOT the driver)

Point is, if I want to use this computer to draw, I can, and that's super awesome. I'm ecstatic. Control is something I'll have to relearn, though- I checked evtest and learned that it's sensing 2047 levels, which I'm guessing is why lines come out heavy-handed. It's possible, yet difficult to keep a line from maximum opacity and/or width.

I have a portable art studio! A homemade cintiq! And all it took was hours and hours of fruitless googling and annoying the Hell out of some poor stranger!

Beans

Thanks for all the work. i got everything working using your tips in a single afternoon.

a small hint about the multitouch and right mouse click:

you can choose in the mouse accessibility settings the following option, "Simulated Secondary Click", just adjust it all the way to the left and you can press+hold on your touchscreen to get the right-click context menus.

Page 1 of 112 1231151101 ... LastLast