Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112
Results 1,111 to 1,117 of 1117

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Just noticed that our wiki page hasn't been updated in a while https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT
    We only have instructions for these versions:

Basic steps
    For 11.04, Natty Narwhal
    For 10.10, Maverick Meerkat
    For Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx

Could someone with 11.10, 12.04, 12.10 or 13.04 kindly update the wiki to reflect those versions also, thanks
    To err is human - to really f*ck up you need a computer

Beans

Anyone else updated to 13.04 already?

The community documentation page, obviously, hasn't been updated since Precise 12.04, but things have been working okay in the meantime. For 13.04 I've switched over to vanilla Ubuntu, figuring I'll go back to KDE when I get a machine which can appreciate it more. Things are running okay, I just manually downloaded the latest packages from plippo's launchpad and installed the .debs using the Software Center. Screen brightness is working, webcam isn't upside-down in cheese, powersaving I couldn't say since my battery is broken and only charges to 44%. touchscreen isn't fully functional yet - if I touch the screen, it tracks it with the cursor, but I can't use it to click anything or scroll, and when I use the trackpad again the cursor is once again appearing in the bottom right-hand corner, which I had previously assumed was a KDE issue.

I'm not a savvy user, so it's possible I've messed up the installation of the necessary packages, but I'm wondering if anyone else has upgraded and if they're having similar issues. Following the wiki instructions isn't working at all, and you're likely to see this :
    Code:
    W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/plippo/t101mt/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found
    EDIT : After doing about all that can be done to customize Unity, let me just say WOW you are some patient people to have not migrated to KDE after they came up with this. The hell is that launcher about? How do you access programs easily through a touchscreen in Unity?
    Last edited by psykatog; May 1st, 2013 at 05:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by psykatog View Post
    Anyone else updated to 13.04 already?

The community documentation page, obviously, hasn't been updated since Precise 12.04, but things have been working okay in the meantime. For 13.04 I've switched over to vanilla Ubuntu, figuring I'll go back to KDE when I get a machine which can appreciate it more. Things are running okay, I just manually downloaded the latest packages from plippo's launchpad and installed the .debs using the Software Center. Screen brightness is working, webcam isn't upside-down in cheese, powersaving I couldn't say since my battery is broken and only charges to 44%. touchscreen isn't fully functional yet - if I touch the screen, it tracks it with the cursor, but I can't use it to click anything or scroll, and when I use the trackpad again the cursor is once again appearing in the bottom right-hand corner, which I had previously assumed was a KDE issue.

I'm not a savvy user, so it's possible I've messed up the installation of the necessary packages, but I'm wondering if anyone else has upgraded and if they're having similar issues. Following the wiki instructions isn't working at all, and you're likely to see this :
    Code:
    W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/plippo/t101mt/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found
    EDIT : After doing about all that can be done to customize Unity, let me just say WOW you are some patient people to have not migrated to KDE after they came up with this. The hell is that launcher about? How do you access programs easily through a touchscreen in Unity?
    It is possible to use ubuntu without unity. I disabled unity and installed cairo-dock, customised for my needs.

All the best
    ianni

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Did anyone try Kubuntu Active on T101MT? I tried but it crashed immediately after boot.

Beans

I did, briefly, since I wanted to test pilot it before trying it on my nexus 7. It worked okay for me, but pretty quickly I missed th full KDE experience. As of right now, plasma active isn't supporting dolphin or amarok, which are basically my reasons for loving KDE. I think that something both plasma active and ubuntu's nexus remix could do a much better job of in their advertising is to list what programs from the software center(s) work on the target devices.

The real problem, though, was that multitouch didn't work with plasma active on my t101mt, and without it the distro isn't quite as appealing. Certainly not enough to justify not having dophin or amarok available.

By the way everyone - Is anyone else's t101mt dying? y battery's broken, and I bought a used nexus 7 for less than the cost of buying a new battery. Asus isn't even shipping replacement batteries anymore! And you can't use a lot of aftermarket batteries because they're designed to go into the back, whereas ours are in the front. I think that, in general, my netbook's been requiring more and more trips to the hospital, and I'm not sure whether ubuntu distros are just becoming larger and too much for eee pcs to handle or if the computer is truly dying a slow death.

ALso, can anyone explain How to make the cursor not jump to the bottom right corner when using the touchpad after the touchscreen? Atomp tried helping me before, but I guess I need things spelled out step-by-step a little more thoroughly.

Beans

Hi, guys. Someone still using T101MT?

I just installed 14.04 and tweaked it out a little. A lot of things work out of the box - including Bluetooth, touchscreen (basic), camera, microphone...

Here are the steps to get almost everithing to work:

1) Install official eGalax driver:
    Code:
    $ wget http://home.eeti.com.tw/touch_driver/Linux/20140318/x86/eGTouch_v2.5.3810.L-x.zip 
    $ unzip eGTouch_v2.5.3810.L-x.zip
    $ cd eGTouch_v2.5.3810.L-x
    $ sh setup.sh

and select: Y (agree with patent decl.), 2 (USB), Enter (confirm), 1 (Device number)
    (note for debian users: i had to change line 188 of setup.sh from "Kminor=${Ktmp%%.*}" to "Kminor=${Ktmp%%[.-]*} to recognize my kernel version")

after that, you can edit some settings with "eGTouch Utility" app. Even right-click emulation works!

2) Most Fn keys (and ExpressGate key) don't work.
    - (From wiki) edit line in /etc/default/grub to:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
    - to fix brightness Fn keys:
    edit (create) file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf :
    Code:
    Section "Device"        Identifier  "card0"
                            Driver      "intel"
                            Option      "Backlight"  "intel_backlight"
                            BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection
    and reboot.

- to fix ExpressGate button, Fn + F3 (toggle TouchPad) an Fn + F9 (open System Monitor):
    install xbindkeys:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbindkeys
    touch ~/.xbindkeys.noauto
    and create script to launch it on boot($ nano xbindkeys )
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sleep 10
    /usr/bin/xbindkeys &
    and move it to /usr/bin
    Code:
    chmod 755 xbstart
    sudo mv xbstart /usr/bin
    and add xbstart command to Startup applications.

and edit (create) file .xbindkeysrc (nano ~/.xbindkeysrc):
    Code:
    "touchrotate"
    XF86ScreenSaver

"toggletouchpad"
    c:191

"gnome-system-monitor"
    XF86Launch1

and continue to step 3 and 4...

3) Rotating the screen:
    i made script named touchrotate ($ nano touchrotate)
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# author Jiří Kosňovský
    # guirnab@gmail.com
    # thanks to guys on http://ubuntuforums.org/Showthread.php?t=2116275
    # and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/169964/how-to-prevent-a-script-from-running-simultaneously

# Find the line in "xrandr -q --verbose" output that contains current screen orientation and "strip" out current orientation.

rotation="$(xrandr -q --verbose | grep 'connected' | egrep -o  '\) (normal|left|inverted|right) \(' | egrep -o '(normal|left|inverted|right)')"

# block the script from running simultaneously
    # ExpressGate button executes the script twice
    if mkdir /var/lock/.myscript.exclusivelock
    then

# Using current screen orientation proceed to rotate screen and input devices.
    case "$rotation" in
        normal)
        # rotate to the left
        xrandr -o left
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axes Swap" 1
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axis Inversion" 1, 0
        ;;
        left)
        # rotate to inverted
        xrandr -o inverted
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axes Swap" 0
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axis Inversion" 1, 1
        ;;
        inverted)
        # rotate to the right
        xrandr -o right
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axes Swap" 1
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axis Inversion" 0, 1
        ;;
        right)
        # rotate to normal
        xrandr -o normal
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axes Swap" 0
        xinput --set-prop "eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi" "Evdev Axis Inversion" 0, 0
        ;;
    esac
      sleep 1
      rmdir /var/lock/.myscript.exclusivelock
    fi
    and move it to /usr/bin
    Code:
    chmod 775 touchrotate
    sudo mv touchrotate /usr/bin
    commandtouchrotate will rotate the screen 90° ccw.

4) To disable touchpad with command:
    i made script toggletouchpad (nano toggletouchpad)
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# author Jiří Kosňovský
    # guirnab@gmail.com

isOn="$(synclient | grep TouchpadOff | awk '{print $3}')"

if [ "$isOn" = 0 ]; then
        #echo $isOn
        synclient TouchpadOff=1
    else
        #echo $isOn
        synclient TouchpadOff=0
    fi
    and moved it to /usr/bin
    Code:
    chmod 775 toggletouchpadsudo mv toggletouchpad /usr/bin
    I was unable to fix Fn+F7 and Fn+F4. I am opened to suggestions
    Everything else works so far.
    Last edited by guirnab; October 6th, 2014 at 02:25 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guirnab View Post
    Hi, guys. Someone still using T101MT?

Here are the steps to get almost everithing to work:
    Yes, and I appreciate the suggestions for getting everything working. Works in Xubuntu too.

I think the only thing left that I couldn't get working is the display rotation, but I'm sure that's just because I don't really know what I'm doing because I don't do these kind of tweaks often and I just figure out the specifics of the instructions as I go, with a bit of trial and error. I might give it another crack later if I feel I need to get the rotation working but I sunk a lot of time into tweaking as is and I find it all a bit draining, so I'm happy to just use it in one display configuration for now.

Edit: My apologies, turns out I can get the rotation to work if I actually use some of the code in your script in the terminal. Can't quite get it to work via Express Gate at my knowledge level, but I'm pleased enough with the terminal command at the moment. The button may be an adventure for another day.
    Last edited by uaps2; August 18th, 2014 at 02:40 PM.

Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112