Thread: Boot from SDHC if I Want to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Booting from SDHC

Hi folks!

So I'm new to Linux and tried several different flavors via VMware, and decided Ubuntu was the best Linux distro for me.

Decided to try the new netbook edition on my Eee pc 1201. Had a bunch of SD cards lying around, so booted up the live USB version then installed it on a 4GB SDHC card (tried EasyPeasy first, but Ubuntu netbook edition's iso is smaller and they seem to be the same thing). It's an amazing OS, but a little slow because I'm running it off of an SD card.

I'm new to Grub since I previously only installed Linux onto a virtual machine. After all the rigmarole of booting via SD/USB on the Eee pc, I couldn't boot back into XP. The Grub screen would come up no matter what and not give me the option to get into XP. After searching the internet and forums, I repaired the MBR and now XP is fine. But now I can't boot into the Ubuntu on my SD card, I just get the blank screen and cursor.

So, I want my netbook to automatically boot into XP normally, but I want to choose to boot into Ubuntu by pressing ESC during startup. Is there any way to do this and is my Ubuntu install on the SD okay or do I have to do it again?

If it's of any use, my machine is Eee PC 1201HAB, 1.33Ghz, 2GB. Thanks, everybody!
    Last edited by dirty_sailor; May 1st, 2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Clearer title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Boot from SDHC if I Want to

Any help with saving this install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Booting from SDHC

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_sailor View Post

I'm new to Grub since I previously only installed Linux onto a virtual machine. After all the rigmarole of booting via SD/USB on the Eee pc, I couldn't boot back into XP. The Grub screen would come up no matter what and not give me the option to get into XP. After searching the internet and forums, I repaired the MBR and now XP is fine. But now I can't boot into the Ubuntu on my SD card, I just get the blank screen and cursor.

So, I want my netbook to automatically boot into XP normally, but I want to choose to boot into Ubuntu by pressing ESC during startup. Is there any way to do this and is my Ubuntu install on the SD okay or do I have to do it again?

If it's of any use, my machine is Eee PC 1201HAB, 1.33Ghz, 2GB. Thanks, everybody!
    what guide did you follow ?

have you tried asking in the easypeasy forums ?
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI