Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android Tethering for my HTC Droid Incredible (like PDANet)

Beans

Question Android Tethering for my HTC Droid Incredible (like PDANet)

Hi!

I just got my Incredible running, and wanted to tether my laptop to it. Is there anything like PDANet that runs in Ubuntu?

Ion

Beans

Re: Android Tethering for my HTC Droid Incredible (like PDANet)

I did a bit of research, as I expected to inherit my brother's Motorola Droid. There is a package called android-wifi-tether that will only work on a root-ed Droid. I do not think this will work on the Incredible, since I see no information on how to root it.

Perhaps soon enough they will have root access to the Incredible and you can use this hack.

Beans

Smile Re: Android Tethering for my HTC Droid Incredible (like PDANet)

Hey guys, just posted this on androidforums, but it sprung up into a debate.

http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks...tml#post691147

Follow the guide here to set it up on the Ubuntu side. I remember I set up an older Motorola feature phone by following step 2 of that guide using usbserial driver.

Cheers!

Edit: This should work for the HTC Droid Eris as well.
    Unfortunately, I don't believe the Motorola Droid has a native USB modem, so the only choice for Ubuntu/Linux might be PDANet over bluetooth without rooting.
    Last edited by vacaloca; May 7th, 2010 at 03:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Since this is high in the search results for "linux tethering on Droid Incredible" i thought i'd share some love.

Using this guide for the original droid:

http://www.humans-enabled.com/2009/1...-droid-as.html

all i had to do was change the device ID and it worked flawlessly.

Under step 4 where you're creating a new udev rule, we have to use a device id of "0bb4" for the incredible. i.e:

replace ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8" with ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4"

If you want to use the script from that link instead of the step-by-step, you'll have to go into the .py file and change the {idVendor} line like above - I just followed his step-by-step and was up and running in 5 minutes.

Now that is some hot linux on linux action.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Definitely - the http://www.humans-enabled.com/2009/1...-droid-as.html is the way to go. I am on mine now through this. All ports work, and it flys! In comparing the connectivity speeds with my MiFi - it is winning fairly consistently, I think that this is due to the better built-in antenna in the phone.

Shannon VanWagner - you got my vote! I'd like to see a version in the Launchpad PPA repos soon! Any chances of this? I offer my assistance if you want it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The python script given at the above link worked with xubuntu 10.04 on an htc incredible. Using it now to post this.

Beans

FYI, I had to install ia32-libs to get it to work as I run 64bit Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

+1

Shannon's script worked perfectly for me the first time; after enduring a 1 month wait for my HTC Incredible, it tethers perfectly with my Dell Latitude D800 running Ubuntu 8.04. I'm using this setup to post this comment now.

Shannon rocks!
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've tethered 2 other verizon wireless cell phones with ubuntu in the past and the network manager's mobile broadband capability always "just worked" -- why doesn't it with the htc incredible and has anyone here filed a bug in launchpad?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

+1
    Shannon's Script worked perfectly, with no additional configuration necessary for my Droid Eris!
    Posting with it now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast