Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why doesnt the ubuntu site host usb images that can be installed via dd?

Re: Why doesnt the ubuntu site host usb images that can be installed via dd?

I decided to take the initiative on this one, and used dd to write a disk image of an Ubuntu 10.04 desktop i386 ISO written to a 1Gb disk with Startup Disk Creator. A torrent is here, if anyone is interested. It would still be preferable for the Ubuntu overlords to do this automagically instead.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Someone should make an image and torrent it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Another option to create a bootable USB drive is outlined here ..

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-ubu...using-windows/

That is if you have access to a windows system...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    title says it all really, arch have been doing it for a long time so why cant ubuntu?
    I use Unetbootin . It writes an iso directly onto a usb flash drive. And it availaable for Windows as well as Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The 8.04 Netbook Remix was available as a USB image. Unfortunately, the powers that be decided to axe it for later versions.

Given the absence of CD / DVD drives on netbooks, and no USB Creator / Unetbootin that works on the lpia version pre-installed on those devices, there was a bit of a problem for a few upgraders.

For most existing Ubuntu users, USB Creator does the trick without having to burn a CD, as does Unetbootin for Windows users (the Linux version of Unetbootin has always been a bit less reliable).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    'dd' can be a dangerous command for noobs and even not-so-noobs like me.
    They don't call it "destroy disk" for nothing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    I decided to take the initiative on this one, and used dd to write a disk image of an Ubuntu 10.04 desktop i386 ISO written to a 1Gb disk with Startup Disk Creator. A torrent is here, if anyone is interested. It would still be preferable for the Ubuntu overlords to do this automagically instead.
    thanks for the upload i will seed it, it would be nice if they made it available, esp for netbook remix, there is obviously some demand for it, because there are alot of how tos over the web from before the usb creator was available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12