Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [short] review of Kubuntu Lucid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[short] review of Kubuntu Lucid.

Last edited by sandyd; April 30th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [short] review of Kubuntu Lucid.

Carlee, I just wish that the Klingons (floating buttons were either at the top or bottom [left or right]), because they are distracting and make it hard to focus on the text. Have reviewed Kunbuntu Lucid myself and was in doubt as to the advantage. KDE was the first GUI I used with slackware (was the only gui), but see gnome as currently leading the field... still keep it as an optional desktop, but not sure it's better or large?...
    Profit is a Necessary Element of Philanthropy.

Beans

I myself was originally a KDE user. Honestly I prefer KDE 3.5, it was the peak of the graphical user interface. Fun, friendly, and customizable. KDE 4 has awesome features, but not the polish. (At the very least it is packaged poorly by most distros).

It was a great review, though I should note that updates breaking is merely a development release issue. I would avoid a partial update unless you know it will not break anything you need. Short and to the point, told everyone what you felt and what they they might like. Great job.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Konqueror still doesn't support a lot of plugins – it would be nice if it was backwards compatible with Firefox extensions.
    It'd be far more practical to finish porting Firefox to Qt and make it look and feel like Konqueror, than to try to add Firefox's XUL-rendering ability to both Konqueror's chrome and renderer just so it could use Firefox extensions.

A maintenance release is exactly what both KDE and Kubuntu need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: [short] review of Kubuntu Lucid.

Great review, very very thorough!! It actually made me excited about updating to Kubuntu Lucid Lynx.... I had been very apprehensive.

Well, I still think I'll wait a little bit for bugs to be ironed out...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I myself was originally a KDE user. Honestly I prefer KDE 3.5, it was the peak of the graphical user interface. Fun, friendly, and customizable. KDE 4 has awesome features, but not the polish. (At the very least it is packaged poorly by most distros).

It was a great review, though I should note that updates breaking is merely a development release issue. I would avoid a partial update unless you know it will not break anything you need. Short and to the point, told everyone what you felt and what they they might like. Great job.
    I use KDE 4.4.2 on Gentoo Linux and it is awesome. I am not sure why you would find it to be unpolished. Perhaps you used KDE 4.0.x or KDE 4.1.x, which were both garbage. It might be time for you to take another look at KDE.

Beans

I have tried 4.4, amazing work, I really will not undercredit them at all. Just KDE 3.5 has minor stuff, such as the system colors in system monitor and etc, that were amazingly done. It is just opinion. As for what I meant about packaging is that KDE seldom has many themes or color schemes by default on most distros, similar to that. It makes up for it in all the innovation and interface potential. I honestly am fond of it, but I am liking the newer changes to Gnome better is all.

I am glad we have such choices, and I would rather pitch in than complain about KDE, I will explain why I am not using it anymore though. Just it is not what suits me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why review a beta release when the official release is out a week later?
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    Why review a beta release when the official release is out a week later?
    cause its exactly the same, well... save for a few bugs.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exactly, aside from a few bugs. What if you ran into a crippling bug and you put it in your review, only to be fixed for the final release? It would falsely put people off of the release, which could have been avoided if you waited a week.

EDIT: That being said, it is a very good review!
    Last edited by BrokenKingpin; April 27th, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast