Thread: Hardy can't see NAS - plz help !

Beans

Question Can't browse NAS -confused

Hi, I thought I'd finally ask for help. I have been at this for a couple of weeks.

I have a machine here running Hardy. I use it as a slave and normally access it with NX which is why I have stuck with the LTS release. I want to update to Lucid but I think it's wise to get this sorted out first.

I have had a folder on my Linkstation NAS mounted in fstab for getting on for 2 years, until recently when I discovered that if I reset the machine I'd end up with a desktop with a constant waiting cursor. I commented out the line in fstab and the cursor's back to normal.

If I go to Places > Network it shows the Linkstation along with the share on the linux box and a share on a XP machine I use for gaming. The NAS comes with 2 shared folders by default: share (where my files are) and info (instructions etc). I can open info and look at what's stored in the folders there but I can't open or copy anything. I get a "Connection timed out". I can't even open the share folder and get the same error if I try although it does mount both folders with icons on my desktop which I can unmount. If I try to do this too much nautilus crashes. Every machine on the network can view the share on Hardy, as long as the correct password is used.

Now I can do anything I like with these folders if I use my XP machine, my misses laptop that runs Karmic, my netbook, my XBOX that runs XBMC and the Hardy machine if I boot from LiveCD so it's not an issue with the NAS, network or hardware. It has to be an issue with the install of Hardy.

I can ping the NAS but if I put the LAN 192.168.2.4 into a browser I can't see the page it should show although it does qualify the address with a /cgi-bin/top.cgi. The browser sits there "forever" saying it's waiting. This page can be viewed from every other machine.

If I mount the folder using "sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.2.4/share /mnt/linkstation -o guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=07 77" it mounts with no error output but I can't view anything still.

I use Firestarter to edit IPTables and 137-139 and 445 are open. This has worked for almost 2yrs.

"wins" is referenced in the hosts line of /etc/nsswitch.conf

winbind is installed (needed for WINE)

Some errors that "might be connected" and keep popping up in /var/log/ are :

nsswitch/idmap_tdb.c:idmap_tdb_alloc_init(397) ## 397 and 750 are displayed alternatively
    idmap uid range missing or invalid
    idmap will be unable to map foreign SIDs

nsswitch/winbindd_passdb.c:sid_to_name(130)
    Possible deadlock: Trying to lookup SID S-1-5-2 with passdb backend

syslog:
    CIFS VFS: server not responding
    CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 5002 ## the last number changes

I also get :

CIFS VFS: Send error in SETFSUnixInfo = -11

When I Google "SETFSUnixInfo = -11" I almost get a googlewack, there's 3 results. One isn't in English and another is from a post I made asking about it ! Not very helpful. There's plenty of references to SETFSUnixInfo = -5 but no -11 and I'm not qualified to know if the -11 is relevant.

I am attaching a txt file with the content of smbtree, smb.conf, smbclient -L linkstation, findsmb and sudo iptables -L

I am half tempted to just update to Lucid but can't help feeling as if that could just compound my problems. Thanks in advance for any help
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dik23; May 30th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Beans

Question Can't see NAS

Ok - upgraded to Lucid now and have same problem

I'm finding this especially confusing because other machines can see the share on the Lucid box and the Lucid Box can see a share on a XP box, whilst everything apart from my Lucid box can see the NAS.

Also tried

sudo mount.cifs //192.168.2.4/share /mnt/linkstation -o guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=07 77

with no luck, syslog still giving me

CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid NNN
    CIFS VFS: Send error in SETFSUnixInfo = -11

Anybody ??
    Last edited by dik23; May 30th, 2010 at 01:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hardy can't see NAS - plz help !

This How-To might help - if you haven't already seen it...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Yeah, seen that quite a lot recently

Something I have just noticed is if I do a

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

I get

sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not found

I have been using the new way :

sudo service smbd restart
    sudo service nmbd restart
    Last edited by dik23; May 30th, 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Beans

Just noticed something else

As I mentioned I have a shared drive on lucid

I can access it from multiple locations but I've just right click > share and it's telling me it's not shared ?!

Edit: I can mount it, but not under the name it's already mounted under, and unmount it and the share keeps working ?!
    Edit2: Ok, if I do a sudo nautilus I can see it's shared - odd that it doesn't show up to the user
    Last edited by dik23; May 30th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A similiar thread - now solved. Dunno if it's similar enough to help...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Smile Solved

Ok - got it working now after much grief

The NAS has an option to adjust ethernet frame size (Jumbo Frames).

It seems my lucid box didn't like that - which is odd seeming as none of the other machines in the house have had any issues at all.

At least it's working, thanks for all advice given, much appreciated