Thread: Tomboy Notes Startup in Background

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Tomboy Notes Startup in Background

Is there a way to make Tomboy Notes startup in the background when Ubuntu is lunched? I added the command "tomboy --search" to startup applications and whenever Ubuntu starts, Tomboy Notes opens the [Search All Notes] window.

In the previous Ubuntu version, I used to use the Tomboy Notes applet from (Add to Panel) and it used to startup without opening any windows. This method still work on Ubuntu 10.04, but I liked the new icon for Tomboy Notes that appears in the status bar.

Is there a way I can do that?
    Last edited by tareksobh; April 30th, 2010 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

Re: Tomboy Notes Startup in Background

The --search option is what makes the search window appear. Just add "tomboy" to your startup items, without --search, and you should be fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sharm View Post
    The --search option is what makes the search window appear. Just add "tomboy" to your startup items, without --search, and you should be fine.
    I have same problem, and I've done that. But at startup the "search window" still opens. The weird thing is, if I run the "tomboy" command in a terminal it starts without the "search window". The command used is the same! Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Raev33 View Post
    I have same problem, and I've done that. But at startup the "search window" still opens. The weird thing is, if I run the "tomboy" command in a terminal it starts without the "search window". The command used is the same! Any suggestions?
    Either you are accidentally starting Tomboy twice (the second time will cause the Search window to appear), or your panel is taking > 2 seconds to load after Tomboy is started (in which case Tomboy shows the Search window so you can be assured it's actually running).

Accidentally starting Tomboy twice is the most common cause.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sharm View Post
    Either you are accidentally starting Tomboy twice (the second time will cause the Search window to appear), or your panel is taking > 2 seconds to load after Tomboy is started (in which case Tomboy shows the Search window so you can be assured it's actually running).

Accidentally starting Tomboy twice is the most common cause.
    Thanks for the answer. I'm positive that Tomboy is not started twice, so it's probably the > 2 seconds thing. Sounds like a good feature, but in in this particular case it's quite annoying.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Raev33 View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I'm positive that Tomboy is not started twice, so it's probably the > 2 seconds thing. Sounds like a good feature, but in in this particular case it's quite annoying.
    I had this issue as well, as a quick work around you can create a script like this for example. I named it delay-tomboy.sh in my ~/bin/ directory.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /bin/sleep 5
    /usr/bin/tomboy
    Just run chmod +x on it to make it executable, then choose that as the command in your startup entry instead of tomboy itself. You might need to play with the sleep time a little depending how long it's taking your panel to load.

-Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

An even more elegant solution:

make your entry in startup applications read "tomboy --quiet".

cheers
    last.fm: the social music revolution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by groggyboy View Post
    An even more elegant solution:

make your entry in startup applications read "tomboy --quiet".

cheers
    There is no --quiet option. That is the same as starting "tomboy" without any arguments.