Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is 10.04 bucking the trend?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Is 10.04 bucking the trend?

Quote Originally Posted by vaiocomputer View Post
    For the most part, I'm okay with lucid, although I can't say I'm not disappointed at how little difference this version is to the previous, aside from the software updates, which has more to do with the software developers than Canonical. I mean, yeah, sure, the icons are now purple and blood orange, and there is a noticeable speed boost for many tasks, but I'm feeling a little underwhelmed at the release after the hype that was made about it on the Internet.

I actually like the default Human theme from the last release and Turrican, which was also in the last release, better than any of the new lucid themes, which was supposedly a major feature of lucid. The new themes are for me...to put it lightly...disappointing.
    For me 9.10 was a disappointment; I had to "downgrade" to 9.04 just to have a box I could really use. So, for me, 10.04 is great: everything works, and I get updated software packages. I too like the Human-Theme (Human Clearlooks for me), so I installed it from Synaptic and made myself an orange-brown Background. All is pretty good in Ubuntu Land for me...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There aren't perhaps as many "worst release ever" threads as previously, but there is some deep disillusionment from some long-term and knowledgeable people. To me, that's something to pay attention to.

Problems don't always come heralded with a lot of yelling and shouting. Doesn't mean that they aren't there, though.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Very positive:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Problems don't always come heralded with a lot of yelling and shouting. Doesn't mean that they aren't there, though.
    Then how are we forum idiots going to know?
    Consort! what, dost thou make us minstrels? an
    thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but
    discords: here's my fiddlestick; here's that shall
    make you dance. 'Zounds, consort!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by supermelon928 View Post
    Then how are we forum idiots going to know?
    Lol. Good point.

If there are bugs there, but you don't ever notice them, then those bugs don't really affect you, do they?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

People might respond to a problem like this. That's a quiet, thoughtful acknowledgement of a problem without much emotion.

That kind of thing tends not to register on the radar because it doesn't have an angry title.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's not a big deal though. You are never going to please everyone all of the time. There will always be some people that don't like this or that about a new release.

He did have older hardware too he said, and let's be honest, Ubuntu is not the best choice for older hardware.

As he says, (and I paraphrase) it would be nice to see better compatibility between Ubuntu and various display hardware (monitors and graphics cards).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The real problem seems to be the the Xorg guys are moving the goalposts faster than the manufacturers can keep up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Am I missing something here? I thought that Ubuntu and Linux were for older hardware. It's the new stuff that is hard to cater for, because it takes time to write drivers for them.

Is Ubuntu now going down the "let's all buy new hardware every few years" road? I find that very disappointing.

But I rather suspect that continuing this discussion is a waste of time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The drivers have to be re-written in order to keep up with the changes in Xorg, if there were someone working on drivers for older hardware, we wouldn't have the problems that are occurring now.

The manufacturers seem to be more than happy to drop support for older hardware, witness the number models that ATI no longer supports.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast