Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 10.04 bucking the trend?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Is 10.04 bucking the trend?

I'm amazed. Up until now, every time a new release came out, the forums have had an influx of threads saying how crappy the new release is. People always say that the new release is worse than the old one and they're going back to the old version. A while back when 9.10 came out, I actually predicted that people would complain about 10.04 and want to go back to 9.10.

But so far this time, I haven't noticed any threads with people whining about 10.04. I've actually seen a few positive threads about it with no complaining.

Did they finally get it right this time? Maybe 2010 is the "Year of Desktop Linux."
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is 10.04 bucking the trend?

Only issue I have is laptop temp. Aside from that, it's quite stable and solid. I'm very happy.

Beans
    Hidden!

I really like it, but then again I didn't have any problems with 9.10 either. Also, I just shut up and moved the minimize/maximize/close buttons back to the right instead of bit-, er, complaining about it.
    One does not simply rock into Mordor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I'm amazed. Up until now, every time a new release came out, the forums have had an influx of threads saying how crappy the new release is. People always say that the new release is worse than the old one and they're going back to the old version. A while back when 9.10 came out, I actually predicted that people would complain about 10.04 and want to go back to 9.10.

But so far this time, I haven't noticed any threads with people whining about 10.04. I've actually seen a few positive threads about it with no complaining.

Did they finally get it right this time? Maybe 2010 is the "Year of Desktop Linux."
    I switched back to Karmic for now as a personal choice....no reason to complain about it though...ubuntu is a great OS and I love using it.

Might just wait till 10.10 and hope for GNOME 3.0. We will see. Of course I may get my GNOME 3 in 10.10 and hate it and stick with 9.10 or switch to kde....thats the best thing about this OS...so many choices!
    Last edited by Shakz; April 30th, 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

This release is crappy! Because my WLAN adapter still doesn't work

Beans

I'm still updating and so haven't used 10.04 personally yet. You're right though, the number of gripes are lower then they were compared to the day or so after previous releases. Of course I do remember seeing *more* griping during the beta/RC before the official release however most of that was "ubuntu sux cause dey moved da buttons". Don't know if people actually prefer 10.04 it is so bad that a bunch of people jumped ship before the official release. On the whole it doesn't matter, I'm planning on trying out 10.04 and if I don't like it I'll just find a different distro to use instead. It's not like you have vendor lock-in like you get with other OS's.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by EarthMind View Post
    This release is crappy! Because my WLAN adapter still doesn't work
    This is now a 10.04 complaining thread.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've noticed some complaint threads, but nowhere near the amount we usually get, and certainly not of the "this is the worst release ever" variety. Most are of the "I can't believe this still didn't fix this bug" or "What is with the window buttons on the left" variety.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Maybe 2010 is the "Year of Desktop Linux."
    No, i'm pretty sure that was 2009.
    Or 2008.
    Or maybe 2007.
    Or...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just wait until the weekend, we should see a lot more worst ever threads.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast