Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 11.04 : 10.10 : 10.04 : 9.10]

Beans

Re: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 10.04 : 9.10 : 9.04 ]

Thaks GeorgeVita

Have tried all you suggested above. This time the system tried to connect for a longer time, but in the end failed. I will try a new thread as you suggest. Thanks for your help.

Jim Whitston

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump
    Last edited by JackAbear; July 7th, 2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread/my mistake

Beans

Re: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 10.04 ]

Device not recognised in the Network Manager : follow the below . Also Checkout Post #16

* If it is not recognised and an icon appears and the desktop try right click with mouse and "eject" or "safely remove" the device then see if will configure
    * There is a difference between the "eject" and "safely remove". so it is best to monitor the effect it has on your Modem and the Network Manager
    * To help you to understand why some device are not recognised on a Linux the system :Read info at the site relating to the usb modeswitch
    * If nothing happens , open up the terminal and enter this command
    I have a ZTE MF102 USB modem and running 10.04 with modeswitch installed (before installation of modeswitch the modem does not work). I have intermittent problem that the modem recognise by Network Manager.

When I do lsusb :
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 19d2:0031 ONDA Communication S.p.A. ZTE MF636

But Network Manager some times not recognise the modem, however, after I reboot the laptop once or twice, then the modem can be recognised by network manager and connected to the service provider automatically.

I am just not comfortable with this situation that "some times work and some times not work". Also, there isn't an icon of the modem for me to eject / safely remove as per the above "quote"

I would appreciate some advise on :

1. How to ensure the modem can work every time I plug it into my laptop (if not, please provide some way to monitor what went wrong. My personal observation is the pppd does not start automatically when the modem not working)

2. How to eject/safely remove/shutdown the modem gracefully so that I can plug it in again and it will work (at the moment when I unplug the modem, and put it back later, it will not work, and I have to reboot twice to make it work again)

BTW, I just use Network Manager to configure so dialing is not a problem. The problem just at the initialization step that Network Manager not recognise the modem (or pppd not start, I assume Network Manager control to start pppd, or the other way round???)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Re: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 10.04 ]

Y'all check out my new POST below, though I admit the 0031 puzles me, I think I saw that showing up also when I was trying with WVdial at the beginning of my quest !

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...38#post9593938

Even though the method is good, Rogers stick is extremely intermitent in my area, and cuts out often even on the Windhose XP setup, and when it cuts out it remains at zero kb/s and you cannot browse, until you shut down it's software, re-load the software, and hope it will connect the next time. sometime you have to wait a few hours and try again,
    You can can expect the same thing with Ubuntu, not ubuntu's fault in most cases...and restarting ubuntu is the equivalent of re-loading the software in a windows set-up. I would have had to write another three pages to cover all that in detail...And the stick slows down when hot, and shuts off when too hot...so put a fan on it if you download long updates.and stuff..
    Hope that helps also

Beans
    Hidden!

Regarding to post by "Jack A bear" and the link ( interesting fix "Ubuntu Studio" { Network Manager may not be installed at default )
    if you have Audio Problems by following the advice in the link Please refer to Ubuntu Studio
    Also
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1508967
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1525705

always check your versions for distro

group 1 :
    match versions Network Manager

libnm-util1...................... match
    libnm-glib2..................... match
    network-manager........... match
    network-manager-gnome match
    modemmanager............. match ....Not mentioned in the link / Network Manager dependency .. for as said... manages your modem

group2:
    match versions policykit-gnome

libpolkit-dbus2........ match
    libpolkit-grant2....... match
    libpolkit2 ............... match
    libpolkit-gnome0..... no match .check for latest version for your distro

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

http://live.gnome.org/PolicyKit

Also checkout gksu-polkit

http://www.nongnu.org/gksu/

http://live.gnome.org/gksu

policykit-gnome and Network Manager from synaptic below screen shot with dependencies

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alexfish; July 18th, 2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: ubuntu studio link
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Hidden!

How to use the dev/tty for communicating with the modem

Recommend usage : absence of wvdial

Warning if The Device is required to use <CID> dialing , refrain from loading the CGDCONT registers AT+CGDCONT

forgot your AT commands see foot of post #2
    for downloads

If you have read the rest of this thread and don't have a means of connecting this may help

Part one:
    a simple GSM connection

Edit the tty ports to suit your modem : Don't know how to check back at post #16

AT commands are sent to the modem via this command “echo -e "AT command\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2”

try them from the terminal

example
    open up first terminal to monitor the modem

Code:

tr -s "\n" < /dev/ttyUSB2

open up a second terminal

code:
    echo -e "ATZ\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2

so the below script can easily be adapted to suit your needs

#!/bin/sh
    # edit the tty port to suit the modem
    # optional open a terminal to monitor the connection and enter this command
    # needed if trying to find cid profiles etc.
    # Code:
    # tr -s "\n" < /dev/ttyUSB2

echo "Ctrl + c to exit"
    echo " "
    echo -e "ATZ\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2 # reset the modem
    echo "======> sending ATZ"
    # find the CGDCONT profiles for <cid> dialing AT+CGDCONT?
    echo "searching <cid> profiles"
    echo -e "AT+CGDCONT?\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2 # see example response below , Also Demonstrated in the First Post

echo "=======>sending ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
    echo -e "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2

#echo -e "AT+CGDCONT=1,\"IP\" \"your service providers APN\"\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2
    echo -e "AT+CGDCONT=1,\"IP\" \"general.t-mobile.uk\"\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2 # disable with # if using cid

echo "=======>dialing"
    echo -e "ATDT*99#\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2 # or use the <cid> method of dialing

# echo -e "ATDT*99***1#\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2 OR for CDMA :dial number = #777

echo "=======>attempting Connecting to network"
    sudo pppd ttyUSB2 115200 nodetach defaultroute noipdefault noauth lock usepeerdns

# AUTHENTICATION
    # If noauth works, use that, otherwise you have to pass
    # the user name and password. This is an example of a
    # standard Cingular user/pw combo
    # sudo pppd ttyUSB2 115200 nodetach defaultroute noipdefault noauth lock usepeerdns user ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM password CINGULAR1
    ################################################## ###########################################
    # Usernames and passwords
    # sudo gedit/etc/ppp/chap-secrets - Add your " username and password" for authentication using CHAP if your isp requires
    # sudo gedit/etc/ppp/pap-secrets - Add your " username and password" for authentication using PAP if your isp requires
    # example "User" * "mms"
    ################################################## ####################################
    # example response use for <cid> dialing .
    # +CGDCONT: 1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk","0.0.0.0",0,0 can try ATDT*99# or ATDT*99***1#
    # +CGDCONT: 2,"IP","payandgo.o2.co.uk","0.0.0.0",0,0 can try ATDT*99***2#
    # +CGDCONT: 3,"IP","m-bb.o2.co.uk","0.0.0.0",0,0 can try ATDT*99***3#
    # and so on
    ################################################## #####################################

AT+CGDCONT:set PDP format : Not required by CDMA ; Lines containing this command in the above script should be be omitted

Description :This command is used to set GPRS’s PDP format.
    Format : AT+CGDCONT=cid, type, APN[,PDP_ADDR]
    Parameters
    cid: used to define PDP number; min.:1.
    type: PDP packet type, IP: use TCP/IP packet.
    APN: access node network name..
    PDP_ADDR: IP address specified by user (optional).

Example :
    AT+CGDCONT=1, "IP","CMNET"

ATDT*99#
    …......
    Connect

CDMA:
    To connect via 1xRTT and use your provider as an ISP, use the following values:
    Number #777
    Username <number>@<provider>
    Password <pwd>

In all cases, replace <number> with your raw phone number: (555) 123-1234 would be '5551231234'

<provider> and <pwd> vary based on your provider.
    Provider <provider> <pwd>
    Verizon vzw3g.com vzw
    Alltel alltel.com allltel

If you are using Sprint, Username is your Vision login and Password is your Vision password. The number to dial remains #777.
    Why to avoid 1xRTT

1xRTT is known to be a weak point by most carriers, and it is also an obsolete technology. Excessive or continual use in areas that have known EV-DO coverage will be discovered and billed as illegitimate data usage.

EV-DO

EV-DO is the current choice of CDMA providers for data services, and offers significant speed boosts over 1xRTT.
    Details

To connect via EV-DO and use your provider as an ISP, use the following values:
    Number #777
    Username <number>@<provider>
    Password <pwd>

In all cases, replace <number> with your raw phone number: (555) 123-1234 would be '5551231234'

<provider> and <pwd> vary based on your provider.
    Provider <provider> <pwd>
    Verizon vzw3g.com vzw
    Alltel alltel.com allltel

If you are using Sprint, Username is your Vision login and Password is your Vision password. The number to dial remains #777.

Baud Rates : some are fixed by your isp , However the device may be influenced by the AT command AT+IPR

AT+IPR=? : Query baudrates
    AT+IPR? : Query current baud rate

To set the baud rate
    Example:
    AT+IPR=115200

note the influence of baud rate on the call to the pppd IE :sudo pppd ttyUSB2 115200 nodetach defaultroute noipdefault noauth lock usepeerdns .Both should match

Tip: if the device has a memory card or text storage on the sim or memory , save the file to the device,
    You now own a " UBUNTU " compatable USB Mobile Dongle thingy ma jig. well almost , just need to hack that mass storage device
    connection screenshot below
    Last edited by alexfish; February 7th, 2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: adding user names and passwords to Chap Secrets/see end of script

Beans
    Hidden!

Example of retrieving 3g sms texts from the modem using the terminal

may be relevant see
    Post #11 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528185&page=2

Below are the standard AT commands for listing 3g sms texts
    Please refer to the AT command reference guide for your modem
    This can be converted to a script { if done introduce the command " sleep 1 " between each " echo -e "ATCODE\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1"
    edit tty port for the modem

open up first terminal and enter the command

Code:
    tr -s "\n" < /dev/ttyUSB1

open up second terminal and enter the following commands, the first terminal should show the results

Code:
    echo -e "ATZ\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

check if pin code required

Code:
    echo -e "AT+CPIN?\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

enter pin number if required, can also be used in the above connection script

Code:
    echo -e "AT+CPIN=<pincode>\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

set echo command for the modem

Code:
    echo -e "ATE\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

find locations of sms texts

Code:
    echo -e "AT+CPMS?\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

set modem to sms text mode

Code:
    echo -e "AT+CMGF=1\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

set the location for sms text , edit according to the response of the echo -e "AT+CPMS?\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1 command

Code:
    echo -e "AT+CPMS=\"ME\"\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

list all sms texts

Code:
    echo -e "AT+CMGL=\"ALL\"\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

Reminder reading the AT command reference guide for your modem helps
    Last edited by alexfish; July 31st, 2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: screenshots and typo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alexfish View Post
    Regarding to post by "Jack A bear" and the link ( interesting fix "Ubuntu Studio" { Network Manager may not be installed at default )
    if you have Audio Problems by following the advice in the link Please refer to Ubuntu Studio
    Also
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1508967
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1525705

always check your versions for distro

group 1 :
    match versions Network Manager

libnm-util1...................... match
    libnm-glib2..................... match
    network-manager........... match
    network-manager-gnome match
    modemmanager............. match ....Not mentioned in the link / Network Manager dependency .. for as said... manages your modem

group2:
    match versions policykit-gnome

libpolkit-dbus2........ match
    libpolkit-grant2....... match
    libpolkit2 ............... match
    libpolkit-gnome0..... no match .check for latest version for your distro

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

http://live.gnome.org/PolicyKit

Also checkout gksu-polkit

http://www.nongnu.org/gksu/

http://live.gnome.org/gksu

policykit-gnome and Network Manager from synaptic below screen shot with dependencies

Thank you alexfish for this very generous supply of information on this topic, I checked some of this out,... but being the noob that I am it will take me at least three months of hands on to digest all that...., but that's ok!
    thanks also for pointing out the audio bugs involved and the how to fix links.

I now understand that I was very lucky, and that my homemade method for wireless worked only because UbuntuStudio's update manager picked up the slight discrepancies you mentioned and automatically slated libpolkit-gnome0 for removal along with one of the libnm's , before doing the initial series of updates....it did exactly what I was hoping for, with fingers crossed on both hands...it also installed the modemmanager which I had not picked up on....very smart operating system isn't it?
    I will copy this helpful thread to an open office file, for ongoing reference , in order to study all aspects.
    BTW, If you just happen to know of a link that explains where to get and how to install ASIO drivers for MOTU TRAVELER firewire or (2nd option)Creative labs SOUND BLASTER pci card, I would certainly welcome that information.

Thanks again,
    Jack A bear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Whitston View Post
    I am hoping that GeorgeVita will pick up on this cry for help, but failing that, any kind soul will do!

My netbook is running 10.4 and I have updated it through update manager. I have bought an o2 dongle (MF100) on payandgo. It is ZTE device. I went into Network Manager and entered the details and I now get o2 payandgo as an option under the network manager. I read some of GeorgeVita's earlier posts and noted that I should not enter the keyring password when asked, and cancelling this request brings up a request for the ZTE password. I enter payandgo (which was entered by Ubuntu when I created the link). It tries to connect, but does not.

Also, when Ubuntu created the o2 link, it put *99# as the phone number. I have tried with this, and also inserted the actual number that came with the dongle.

Is there any hope for me? Not sure I can cope with difficult stuff like wvdial (which I saw on another post).

Thanks in anticpation,

Jim Whitston
    Re the "*99#" I used that and added "44791xxxxxxx" as the number (without quotes and xxxs) and it worked for me on Ubuntu. My dongle is the ZTE MF627 from 3.
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Am running Ubuntu 10.04 and have tried to get my ZTE MF627 dongle from "3" working to no avail for months. I have to load up Windows Vista to use!
    Today I went to the "3" website where they have new software for this dongle - (in theory it is not yet available for Vista but I downloaded the file anyway). I installed the software in my dongle whilst in Vista and then started Ubuntu and re-entered the dongle in "Network Connections". Lo and behold IT WORKED. I hasten to add I'm a total dunce on Ubuntu and command lines etc so cannot explain why - only that it just works.
    JohnB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast