Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 11.04 : 10.10 : 10.04 : 9.10]

Beans

Re: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 10.10 : 10.04 : 9.10 ]

I am trying to connect Huawei E180 to Ubuntu 10.10 using Acer Aspire 3500 laptop. The same was working fine on Ubuntu 9.04 but since upgrading to 10.10 the Network Connection Manager Icon in the top panel does not show the connection name. When I run
    dmesg | grep -e "modem" -e "tty"
    I receive only the following line and the remain lines is not listed
    [ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
    How can I make my modem work again?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi tarekmg

Have a you read post #36

also have you read through first post

alexfish
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello alexfish,

I got the same problem. I have read some of the posts you mentioned, but what i got is confusing?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1663833

Beans

Re: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 10.04 : 9.10 : 9.04 ]

Thanks.. This post was really helpfull
    Last edited by CharlesA; January 14th, 2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: removed unneeded quote.

Beans
    Distro

I think it's a good idea to have a list of known compatible "out-of-box" and devices that requires manual intervention to work; maybe a Wiki.
    Is there something like this already?

Beans

yea, check out the info on this wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 10.10 : 10.04 : 9.10 ]

Telstra Elite Mobile Broadband working on Ubuntu 10.10

I wanted mobile broadband during my travels in Australia so I went into the Telstra store in Perth, and tested the Telstra Elite Prepaid mobile broadband on my netbook (I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on an Asus Eee PC 901)

I plugged the USB modem into my netbook, went into Applications > Network Connections > Mobile Broadband and clicked on the "Add" button.

In the "Set up a mobile broadband connection" screen, I ensured that the options ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM > Australia > Telstra were selected, then on the "choose your billing plan" screen, I selected the option "my plan is not listed..." and typed in the APN as "telstra.internet". I confirmed my mobile settings were correct then clicked " Apply".

I was then able to connect to the Telstra Mobile UTMS and access the internet successfully.

In order to check my usage, I went to http://myprepaid.telstra.com, and clicked on "My Balance".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jdcrownover View Post
    Wow, looonnnngggg post. A prime example of why I have NOT yet made Ubuntu my primary operating system -- there is NO SINGLE GOOD INSTALL APPLICATION available.

I've been looking around trying to figure out how to get my Options Velocity modem working. I see lots of suggestions with lots of packages, some of which I have install, but most of these require you to KNOW LINUX AT THE SYSTEM LEVEL to do anything. THEY DON'T EVEN TELL YOU WHICH DIRECTORY YOU NEED TO PUT STUFF IN.

I read a post made in JANUARY 2010 about ZeroCD. Here it is 11 months later, and there is STILL NOTHING IN THE UBUNTU UPDATES which allows my zeroCD to operate.

And I haven't even attempted yet to attach my peripheral devices to my Ubuntu laptop, mainly because I now expect the same LACK OF SUPPORT for them as well.

PS - I'm writing this from my WINDOWS 7 laptop, where my Options Velocity modem INSTALL WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
    Remember one thing . Your service provider had these drivers pre-install on the device, and certainly for your choice of operating system,
    most do not have Linux drivers pre-installed.

Perhaps the comments would be of a different nature,
    If you had the will and the want to use Linux as an Operating system
    Last edited by alexfish; February 3rd, 2011 at 07:13 PM.

Beans

For CDMA :Check to see if the ACM drivers will load for the device:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe cdc-acm
    .................................................. ..........................

For other drivers examine files
    lib/modules/kernel version/kernel/drivers/usb/serial
    lib/modules/kernel version/kernel/drivers/usb/class
    lib/modules/kernel version /kernel/drivers/net/usb

Alternately a modprobe usbserial may load the generic serial drivers , the generic drivers are usually ok to get a connection working ,but may not provide full functionality of the modem

" sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0xID product=0xID "
    Alexfish,

I'm using Ubuntu Netbook 10.10, and using EVDO connection with Olive VME110 modem. Firstly I was trying to connect using wvdial command but didn't have much luck with it. Then now I am able to connect to the internet using the network manager (mobile broadband setup). However, I have a problem like you stated, in which it does not provide full functionality of the modem.

I'm supposed to have 3.1 Mbps downlink (on Windows, I managed to get 200+ KBps), while on Linux my speed is maxxed out at 55-60 Kbps (500ish Kbps). I believe the problem is because of the generic usb driver.

Since I'm new to Linux, could you please elaborate and shed some light on how I could get normal speed?

Fyi, I skipped this bit:
    For CDMA :Check to see if the ACM drivers will load for the device:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe cdc-acm
    For other drivers examine files
    lib/modules/kernel version/kernel/drivers/usb/serial
    lib/modules/kernel version/kernel/drivers/usb/class
    lib/modules/kernel version /kernel/drivers/net/usb
    Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wsoelivan View Post
    Alexfish,

I'm using Ubuntu Netbook 10.10, and using EVDO connection with Olive VME110 modem. Firstly I was trying to connect using wvdial command but didn't have much luck with it. Then now I am able to connect to the internet using the network manager (mobile broadband setup). However, I have a problem like you stated, in which it does not provide full functionality of the modem.

I'm supposed to have 3.1 Mbps downlink (on Windows, I managed to get 200+ KBps), while on Linux my speed is maxxed out at 55-60 Kbps (500ish Kbps). I believe the problem is because of the generic usb driver.

Since I'm new to Linux, could you please elaborate and shed some light on how I could get normal speed?

Fyi, I skipped this bit:

Thank you.
    Hi wsoeivan

and welcome to the forums

There is very little which can be achieved as Regards speed with Network Manager, other than setting the Type
    IE: 3g , 2g, or selecting preferred options , have you tried

Have you try ppp direct , where the buad rates can be selected

can also mention details of problem with wvdial ,

if modem-manager (network manager dependency) does not have a plugin for the device then
    wvdial is usually the preferred method of connecting CDMA modems , esp where specific init codes can to be sent to the modem

can also post the dial up details from the Network Manager

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast