Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE doesn't work, just displays a big ol' black screen!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Angry KDE doesn't work, just displays a big ol' black screen!

Hey,

My main desktop environment is Gnome however being the curious little geek that I am I fancied messing about with KDE for a bit. I logged out, changed my session type to 'KDE' then logged in. it displayed the KDE splash/load screen then provided me with an ultra useful big black screen. No wallpaper, no menu's, no desktop. The computer runs fine and when I hit the power button a little window comes up with the option to log off etc, but the desktop just seems to have disappeared!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Grant

-----System Info--------
    Ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx 32bit
    intel dual core (NOT core 2 duo)
    2Gb RAM
    On board intel graphics GM945 (I think)

For any other specs needed you can look up the
    specs for a Compaq Presario A935EM. Mainly
    because thats what I have
    ------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: KDE doesn't work, just displays a big ol' black screen!

should probably mention that the mouse is still visible, and still works. not much I can do with the mouse when I don't have a desktop tho

Ta,

Grant

Beans

yep tried kde just loads a couple icons then thats it,, black screen,, mouse cursor,,, let it sit for about 12 minutes.. still no go..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem when I tried KDE. GNOME works fine, but when I select KDE at login, the screen goes black and that's it. I can run an application by pressing ALT+F2, but that is not quite what I want. That shows anyway that the system itself is running but no graphics

My laptop is Dell Latitude D 620 with Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz and the Graphics Chip is Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

Unfortunately I can offer no help at this point. Anyway, you are not the only one who has had this issue.

J

Beans

Same problem here. Upgraded from Koala using the GUI upgrade and when the system rebooted I get no desktop. alt+f2 does work (thanks for that) and even allows me to run Chrome and Dolphin at least. alt+tab also brings up a 3D task switcher.

Maybe this is the ultra-minimalist version of KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jkbrennan77 View Post
    Same problem here. Upgraded from Koala using the GUI upgrade and when the system rebooted I get no desktop. alt+f2 does work (thanks for that) and even allows me to run Chrome and Dolphin at least. alt+tab also brings up a 3D task switcher.

Maybe this is the ultra-minimalist version of KDE
    lol

anyone try hitting altf2 and running plasma-desktop?
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans

Thanks! Tried running plasma-desktop and it didn't run. apt-get installed plasma-desktop (it also installed kdebase-workspace) and I have a desktop again. My panel and other configuration settings all appear to still be there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is this an issue when installing Kubuntu-Desktop, or when installing KDE?
    Kipling - "if"

Beans

Same problem here. Dell Inspiron 1525.

Just got my computer back a month ago and I was loving Karmic. Saw the upgrade for Lucid and thought for half a second that maybe I should wait a few days or a week to avoid any first run bugs.

Ate that one. got that black screen like a few others, but I knew that something was still working cuz the volume control was still there and my Wallet still comes up at startup.

First I couldn't figure anything out in the desktop, so i ran the onboard diagnostic from my boot menu and it said that theres something wrong with my hard drive so I thought that was the problem.

But there was that nagging feeling because the volume and my wallet still came up, so I started clicking every little menu button I could and navigated from my wallet to window behavior to help to kde.org and got some internet action going.

That alt f2 thing is cool thanks for that.

but as far as the plasma-desktop command I have nothing still, altf2 and konsole.

I'll keep reading and post anything I find out here, because I still have no desktop environment even after installing plasma-desktop...

*edit-damn guess I gotta run it after I install it. My bad. Hopefully it will automatically run from now on...
    Last edited by Majik_420; May 2nd, 2010 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if plasma didnt get installed thats a kubuntu-desktop issue (i would think anyway). try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kde-standard
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast