WORKAROUND FOR GMAIL-NOTIFY 1.6.1 TRAY ICON BACKGROUND COLOR NOT MATCHING GNOME PANEL IN UBUNTU 10.04
The problem can be fixed by changing the icons to match the new system theme.
The icons can be found in /usr/share/apps/gmail-notify. The icons that set the tray icon are icon.png (red) and icon2.png (blue). Both have transparent backgrounds, but that doesn't appear to be working with the notification applet. You can either manually change the icons with the ones included in the "new-icons.tar.gz" file or follow the terminal instructions below.
I've included instructions below:
Download the attached new-icons.tar.gz file and extract the contents to the desktop. To extract the contents, first move "new-icons.tar.gz" to your desktop, right click the icon, and then choose "extract here." A new folder called "new-icons" should now be visible on your desktop.
Before continuing, make sure the desktop has a new directory named "new-icons" with two pictures inside (icon.png and icon2.png).
Now run the following commands one at a time in the terminal:
cp icon.png icon2.png ~/Desktop/original-icons
sudo cp icon.png icon2.png /usr/share/apps/gmail-notify
rm icon.png icon2.png
Alternatively, you could run the bash script I attached. Note, the script has to be run after the "new-icons" directory exists.
How to run the script:
0) Make sure the "new-icons" folder is on your desktop
1) Download the "icon-change.sh" file and put it on the desktop.
2) Right click the file and choose properties.
3) Click on the "permissions" tab and check "allow executing file as program".
4) Double click the file.
5) When the dialog box pops up, choose "run in terminal"
So, what just happened? Well, three things.
1) The icons in the gmail-notify have been replaced with the ones in the "new-icons" folder.
2) The old icons have been backup up in the folder "original-icons" that is now on your desktop.
3) The "new-icons" folder you extracted earlier has been deleted.
It may take some time for the notifier icon to change (you have to wait until it checks for mail again). You could always restart the application or click the "Check now" button if you want it to change immediately.