Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
On my primary two laptops I've been running LVM2 and using its snapshotting capability along with fsarchiver and an external hard drive to make compressed filesystem images. The beauty of this approach is that I can do so with a live system, without introducing corruption. On the flip side, it's quick and painless to restore the saved image, and I can even restore to a different filesystem than had been in place at the time of image creation. I've come to love this approach as it has, for the first time, given me the ability to keep robust sets of backup images without suffering significant downtime. You might look into that to open some more options beyond TrueImage, if that helps anything.
That sounds interesting.

I tried clonezilla when my eeepc was nbew (almost two years ago now) and it didn't seem to like my SSDs at all.

Do you have a link to a tutorial written for newbies explaining your method? Also does using your method restore files like the fstab? I used to use remastersys a bit back until I realized it wasn't restoring the original fstab and I had to readd those and other settings again manually every time I restored which was a PITA. Plus I could never be sure what settings were restored and which ones weren't meaning I had to recheck them all--easier to just do a reinstall if I have to do that!

In Acronis after a restore everything is back the way I had it and I don't have to do anything except update, rescan my music collection in Banshee and redownload any podcasts. It helps that I store my music on an SD card formated as an ext3 allowing me to use symbolic links to its folder in my /home. Oh and the five minute restore times in Acronis aren't to be sneezed at. Not that I'm too happy with the longer time it takes to make the image, but you take what you can get and the benefits so far outweigh the costs.

--bornagainpenguin