Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not booting after install of 10.04

Beans

Not booting after install of 10.04

I have installed 10.04 Netbook remix, installation went find and rebooted..Now all i get is a black screen after bios finished loading. I guess it is something with the bootloader.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to do?

Many thanks for the help

Model: Acer Aspire One 250

Beans

Re: Not booting after install of 10.04

Have the same problem! Just finished upgrading Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4 (not a clean install) and now I just get the black screen of death after the bios has loaded up. Do I need to do a clean install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does the live cd run without install on a USB or CD? I have the same model but we may have different hardware, I am typing from Lucid regular download not the UNR.

Beans

I did a clean install, erased everything on the disk.
    I am booting from a USB drive working perfectly to load Ubuntu and see how it looks and works. Only error i get under installation is for the Wireless card, but dont think that would cause it to not boot up. I did try to install Ubuntu Netbook remix 3 times and all 3 times i had the same result when trying to boot from the harddrive.

Will have another go when i get home from work.

Beans

I had the same problem, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was booting up fine as a LiveCD (on my USB stick), installation went fine, but after the reboot and removing the USB stick it just stood there.

I found out that I made a mistake during the install, I didn't notice that it actually installed onto the USB stick and not the local HDD.

Maybe that'll help solve your issues

Beans

Above post is only somewhat correct. It actually installs onto the HDD just fine, but it writes the bootloader to the USB stick and thus you cannot boot unless the USB stick is there.

So when you get to step 7 of the install, click Advanced and change the bootloader install to the drive you're installing to.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Not booting after install of 10.04

I have similar. I installed on two machines, and not had any joy. Am now worried about loosing everything on one.

Machine 1: was a new install on a Vista 64-bit machine. Loaded fine, but after it will not boot into Ubuntu. I get an error message saying Windows is not shut down properly???

This machine is not such an issue, but machine 2 is.

Machine 2 I was using Ubuntu 9.10 on a Vista 64-bit. I used the Update Manager to do this upgrade. It took hours to download, but then as the install started it died. I now can not get into Vista or Ubuntu. It gives a message something like /obin/init/ error and can't find libnib.dbus.iso.1

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Not booting after install of 10.04

I have been having a bad time of it too. I attempeted on 2 machines, both running Vista 64-bit.

1 is a PC where the install is new. After install and I re-boot to complete the installation I get told that Windows has not been shut down completly and to run various commands - which I can't do as I am in limbo land. One such is "mount -t ntfs-3g -0 remove_hiberfile /dev/sda1 iso/device"

Machine 2 is far more worrying, as I stand to loose data and can't get it tom start in either Ubuntu or Vista. I used the Update Manager (as instructed) to do the update. It downloaded the iso, which took hours, it then just started to install and all died. On re-boot, when I select Ubuntu it freezes on a black screen, but if I press enter I get some text, with comments: "sbin/init/error" and can't find "libnib -dbus.so.1"

Does anyone know where Evolution mail stores all the folders (eMails) and settings, and Firefox stores it's, and where desktop is stored?

Can I run another copy of Ubuntu on another partition to retrieve these and rebuild my install?

I have been playing with the Ubuntu 9.4 DVD, the trial install to see if I can do anything. I get the feeliing it is close.
    Very worrying!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Motjida View Post
    I had the same problem, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was booting up fine as a LiveCD (on my USB stick), installation went fine, but after the reboot and removing the USB stick it just stood there.

I found out that I made a mistake during the install, I didn't notice that it actually installed onto the USB stick and not the local HDD.

Maybe that'll help solve your issues
    As i remember during the installation of my last attempt i went in there but what i could see it showed to install the boot loader on the HD, "/SDA"

But will double check when i can attempt another try later this evening..

Thanks for the info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For those with the netbook problems - put your model on there - could be a hardware problem (or could be the bootloader installed on the USB stick, as someone above said - which is more likely). Also try using XChat to connect to FreeNode, then join #ubuntu, and ask in there.

Also - the two people above with 2 machines - are these netbooks or desktops/laptops? And are they 64bit or 32bit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast