Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDMI audio setup

Beans

HDMI audio setup

Hi all,

I did a fresh install of 10.04 and at the same time installed a new video card, geforce 210. I do not have audio at all, I have played with ALSA settings and the audio settings in mythtv and cannot get get anything working inside mythtv or out. is there a howto somewhere that can guide me? everthing I can fnd is a few versions out of date an of no help.

Thanks,

Trev

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HDMI audio setup

take a look here. I had the same issue and this solved it

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_Radeo...deo_HDMI_Sound
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

check the alsa website, there are some options you need to add to the module. Also, these cards might have to wait for alsa 1.0.23, which isn't in the repo yet. You can remove, download, and compile and then it should work.

Beans
    Distro

I will be instaling a GT 240 Card tonight along with Mythtbuntu 10.04. I will be upgrading alsa with these directions:

http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...ic-koala-9-10/

Beans

Thanks for all the suggestions, bu unfortunately none have really paned out. When I was looking at the results from my
    Code:
    aplay -l
    I noticed that I did not have an HDMI entry like I did on my other frontend, reading one of the links I realized I had not disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS after I did this I'm left with
    Code:
    shaw@Myth-Hybrid:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    So, does my card not support audio through hdmi? I thought it was part of the protocol. I can't find any documentation that states anything about sound capabilities of the card.

Trev

Beans

with nvidia 2xx ersies cards you need to either have a recent version of alsa, or patch the version you do have. I am not sure of precise version info as it doesn't affect me, just reporting what i have read on the mailing list.

Beans

I haven't updated the XBMC wiki yet (been busy), but on Mythbuntu 9.10 (and, I suspect, also on Lucid) it is sufficient to use the driver package from the Ubuntu Audio Development Team PPA, then follow the sound.conf configuration. I believe with the latest drivers the enable_msi=0 option is not required (though it does not hurt, it just reiterates a default).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paoleary View Post
    I haven't updated the XBMC wiki yet (been busy), but on Mythbuntu 9.10 (and, I suspect, also on Lucid) it is sufficient to use the driver package from the Ubuntu Audio Development Team PPA, then follow the sound.conf configuration. I believe with the latest drivers the enable_msi=0 option is not required (though it does not hurt, it just reiterates a default).
    I just added the PPA repository and it appears that only pulse audio is updated. No updates to Alsa 1.0.23.

Beans

ok I tried following the upgrade that Novellahub linked too and ended up fubaring my system. this is how things went my first hurdle was that alsa-utils was not where listed, I found it in /sbin, insted of /etc and stopped it. everything went well until it was time to compile and install alsa-driver, when I went
    Code:
    sudo make
    it started progressing as it should and then the crash came. I have been unable to recover from it, and for some strange reason whenever I try to boot the system, no mater how I do it, normal, recovery mode, live disk, I can not mount my second hard drive which has all my media on it. I don't know why it would have been affected by the crash, it didn't have any system files or anything and wasn't in use at the time. I think I might try a fresh install of 9.10 and upgrade the alsa and see if that works.

Trev

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast