Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 broke my fglrx, how do I fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

10.04 broke my fglrx, how do I fix

I just 'upgraded from 9.10 Karmic to 10.04 Lucid; I got the following errors

Could not install '/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb'

The upgrade will continue but the '/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb' package may not be in a working state. Please consider submitting a bug report about it.
    Could not install 'fglrx'

The upgrade will continue but the 'fglrx' package may not be in a working state. Please consider submitting a bug report about it.

no package named `fglrx' is installed, cannot configure
    I've rebooted several times but can't install, nor uninstall fglrx properly - how do I get my desktop effects working properly again

I also had desktop spread across 2 monitors, now I only have desktop on one monitor, the other is blank
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 10.04 broke my fglrx, how do I fix

bump
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please don't bump until 24 hours has elasped, remember we are all volunteers here, it may take a while for the person that knows the answer to your question to see it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by charonred View Post
    I just 'upgraded from 9.10 Karmic to 10.04 Lucid; I got the following errors

I've rebooted several times but can't install, nor uninstall fglrx properly - how do I get my desktop effects working properly again

I also had desktop spread across 2 monitors, now I only have desktop on one monitor, the other is blank
    Hi, I have the same problem

Maybe this is caused because earlier i had installed ati graphics driver from ati website. Maybe not.
    More Details:
    After upgrade my screen wasn't working properly, after rebooting i have been told that computer can't find these packages/modules:
    fglrx-amdcccle and xorg-driver-fglrx
    and will be using default graphics driver. Then I tried to run update manager and saw that many packages wasn't installed during upgrade, alongside fglrx-amdcccle and xorg-driver-fglrx. I was suggested to run partial upgrade, but i refused. After that run synaptic and one by one tried to install packages that were on update manager's list(by the way, they all were grayed out). I installed few of them but when i tried to install fglrx-amdcccle and xorg-driver-fglrx I was given fallowing error:
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb: inner process of a new pre-installation script stopped returning the value of 1
    After that these packages are broken and i can't do anything to fix them. When I run "sudo apt-get -f install" i have the same message like in synaptic.

So, any help would be deeply appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Qianqian Fang found a workaround:
    I found a workaround: I manually deleted the folder /usr/share/ati and
    now fglrx can be installed.
    EDIT: Previous packages are installed now but the partial upgrade problem still exists. Any sugestions?
    Last edited by Younio; April 30th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

installing fglrx from synaptic didnt work for me. Installing fglrx from Jockey (System-Administration-hardware drivers) was ok.

Beans

Deleting /usr/share/ati seemed to work for me as well. At least the initial install, haven't played with all the options yet. Thanks to Qianqian Fang and Younio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, I'm hoping this will solve a similar problem I'm having with my HD 5770 and ccc.
    Also, I've heard that people are having issue with the ati 10.4 release of their drivers, but 10.3 work fine.
    I also use a dual screen setup so I'm hoping that I can get this problem solved when I get back to my pc after the weekend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

lucid 10.04 fglrx is a messy driver i now have a problem with him that i removed it for some reason and when i reinstall it even
    though he's fine he did not reinstall catalyst shortcuts in system preference and i still have the old problem of him showing
    my screens as unknown in monitors and to be honest i am tiered of the fact that every little thing breaks this system like a peach
    of glass even removing and reinstalling catalyst doesn't fix it so what is the point of the option complete removal in synaptic if it's not
    doing it's job properly?
    Last edited by aviramof; April 30th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Just in case someone needs this. I solved partial upgrade problem by installing all the packages by synaptic, there was few packages that were messed up from i didn't need them so i just removed them. everything seems to work now

EDIT: ATI Driver is still not working, Hardware drivers (Jockey) tells me that the driver is activated and working, but when i choose appearance and select effects none of them are working. And on catalyst control center options with 3d are grayed out. It just wont turn on.

Waiting for help.
    Last edited by Younio; April 30th, 2010 at 02:13 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast