Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot boot into LiveCD (10.4)

Beans

Cannot boot into LiveCD (10.4)

Greetings,

Whenever I try to boot from my freshly burned Ubuntu 10.4 CD (my goal is to complete a Ubuntu installation from scratch, no upgrade), I see three things :

- first, a purple screen with two pics on the lower side (looks normal) ;

- then an "Ubuntu" waiting screen with five dots blinking alternatively (still looks normal) ;

- and last, a strange screen featuring black & white "staircase" lines. The installation process remains stalled at that point (looks abnormal).

I'm fairly new to "fresh" Ubuntu installations, so please could anyone enlighten me about what happens. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot boot into LiveCD (10.4)

Hi and welcome to the forums,

the first thing I would do is to run the self test on the CD to make sure it has burned okay.

If the CD checks out ok we can look at other things, but if the CD has an error you're on a losing streak.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Thank you for the answer − and sorry for the disturbance... The CD is OK. But after one more try, it looks like when the purple screen appears, I have to *press a key* to open the language-choice menu and start the installation process for good. Is that key-pressing-first requirement normal ? I'm asking this because I also tried with a 9.10 distro, and then the language-choice menu automatically opened...

Best regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Check to see if your motherboard mftg has a BIOS update. I was having a similar problem and after 4 disks I updated BIOS and now have 3 spare copies...and they all work

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Elbelion View Post
    Greetings,

Whenever I try to boot from my freshly burned Ubuntu 10.4 CD (my goal is to complete a Ubuntu installation from scratch, no upgrade), I see three things :

- first, a purple screen with two pics on the lower side (looks normal) ;

- then an "Ubuntu" waiting screen with five dots blinking alternatively (still looks normal) ;

- and last, a strange screen featuring black & white "staircase" lines. The installation process remains stalled at that point (looks abnormal).

I'm fairly new to "fresh" Ubuntu installations, so please could anyone enlighten me about what happens. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
    First I would check the CD itself, and it might have not been burned right. Also what CD burning software did you use?
    If you use k3b I know that you wont have any problems, please tell me then I will do something to try to help you
    Feel free to contact me at cuberts@gmail.com if you have any questions. Also, Irssi is RAD!~

Beans

Im having almost the same problem, The last version of ubuntu that worked on this laptop was 9.04. I tried this 10.04 disk and it starts to load but freezes on the Ubuntu screen with the 5 dots. Tried the windows installer and when i rebooted it froze on the same screen. is there a log file i can check to see whats holding it up?

Beans

Same issue. If you press Esc. Key you can see the terminal lines, and it says something about username issue? Cant do a screenshot...

I tried mounting the iso and running it from there, but it seems all the files are either inf files or unknown.

I also tried the "alt+f2 trick, but even though it starts running from the iso, it tries to download files from the internet.

Why is this so f'ed?

Beans

I am having a similar issue. I can install any other OS (Mint7, Ubuntu9.10, etc), but not 10.04. After several minutes of the 5 dots it pops up a splash screen that says: "The installler encountered an unrecoverable error".

I am running an Intel D845 MB with a P4 2.66GHz 533MHz FSB.

Thanks for any help...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yes, this seems to be a bug. I've installed Ubuntu with no problems on this same machine since Hardy but got this error below with the Lucid live CD:

'The installler encountered an unrecoverable error'

I could finally get to the live CD desktop after this message but for those that can't, try this, it worked in the RC:

As soon as you see the CD loading up, press any key, then choose language, then press F6 then select nomodeset. That worked for me anyway.

After I installed Lucid I got a FSCK on reboot and then after boot I have a blank screen with just the cursor for thirty seconds before the desktop fully appears. I reported this bug in Beta One but due to the other problems with Lucid, they were unable to fix it, apparently.

Its sad that my same system that has run Ubuntu so well has problems with Lucid. Seems it may be related to Plymouth which is hard to remove I understand?

My system is:

Gigabyte 945GZM-S2 motherboard with intel onboard graphics.

PS: I did a MD%SUM and all is well with the iso for the live CD as it was in RC and Alpha and Beta versions when I also had this bug.
    Last edited by Orographic; April 30th, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
    The difference between wisdom and foolishness? Wisdom knows how foolish it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry LiveCD hangs on boot with Toshiba Satellite U305-S2806

I have similar experience as thread starter, but I can never get past purple screen with two icons.

Using Toshiba Satellite U305-S2806, the LiveCD hangs on boot, while the two icons (keyboard + human) are showing at bottom screen. I haven't been able to resolve this problem.

Using my other Zyrex laptop, the installation process was flawless.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast