Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10.04 wireless RT2860 bug 545443 in need of extra love?

Beans

Re: 10.04 wireless RT2860 bug 545443 in need of extra love?

I was under the impression that the RT2860 in the eee 901 was a problem attempting to connect to any kind WPA wireless network and that it could be a little flakey on any other wireless network unless the older drivers are used (i.e. older than 1.8.0.0).

All I really know is that it won't work with how I mostly want to use it

Beans

Now that mine seems to work (touch wood, won't know if it's stable or flaky for a while, obviously), but if others indeed have problems connecting to any kind of WPA secured AP, maybe the two bugs I've talked about here shouldn't be duplicates after all.

In that case maybe I don't have the bug I mentioned in the title, but just the other one. Or maybe the bug is the same with different symptoms for different people (maybe because of slight differences in their rt2860?).

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

have seen somewhere that some guys have had better results if settings are not set "automatic", might try each tweak that could work for you.

by the way, as wifi are modules mostly built-in kernels now, if you have problems with your kernel, you might give a try with a newest one (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...daily/current/)

To those looking for new hardware, i've to say that broadcom today have so much issues, better to choose realtek if possible.

Beans

I would swap my wireless NIC if I could be confident that what I was buying was going to be fully supported for all network speeds and all network security types AND it wasn't too expensive.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have ASUS eeepc 1000H with Network controller: RaLink RT2860. I tried to get the card to work with my WPA wireless router at home without success, although it works flawlessly on open networks. As compiling the driver from the manufacturers website did not work for me,

I decided to try something different. I just did a fresh install, and installed the package linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-21-generic. The card worked great without the need for any more packages or tweaks. I used the netbook like this for an hour. Mind you just the regular install + linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-21-generic. However when I rebooted the system the card gives the same trouble as earlier. I am sharing this experience here with the hope that this might somehow be of help to solve this problem.

Beans

Hello!

I am facing the same problem for the 2860... I tried solution suggested by dino99, it did not work me...

Beans

I've posted this in a couple of other threads on the RT2860, so I'll post it here, too...

I'm successfully using Ricardo Salveti's custom kernel from the launchpad bug report, post #53: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/496093 . I have an EEE PC 1000h.

Some folks are also reporting success by downloading and compiling the driver. Here is a tutorial posted by forum member ctbarker32: http://www.ctbarker.info/2010/05/ubu...s-and-wpa.html

Beans

eee901 user here, on plain install of 10.04 I couldn't even detect any wireless networks, I initially tried to compile the Ralink driver from the website; after a few attempts it succeeded and connected and I was able to browse the net. Unfortunately on restart it connected to the network but I was unable to browse the net or update the machine.

After this I tried to install the modified kernel but so far it has changed nothing; I'm still unable to browse the net.

As other have said; this problem has existed for a while and was previously solved by installing the Array.org kernel but with Array no longer providing support it has returned.

If anyone can help me get back to a working wireless connection it would be much(ly) appreciated.

Beans

The kernel from this topic worked fine for my 1000H. You will also have to compile the ralink driver after that kernel update. I also recommend installing eee-control in order to quiet down the fan when it is not needed.

Could somebody please post in this topic when this annoying problem has left lucid lynx and i can start to recommend ubuntu again. This should'nt be hard to fix because everything worked fine before lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The backports Kernel mentioned above linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-21-generic worked perfectly..thanks
    Last edited by Kenda; August 15th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12