Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indicator Applet Issues in 10.04 Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Indicator Applet Issues in 10.04 Lucid

I use a widescreen laptop so vertical space is more important to me than horizontal, hence I run my main bar on the right hand side of the screen. When I upgraded to Lucid, I noticed my battery indicator and volume control had disappeared, and I have since found they they are on the indicator applet. However, adding this to the panel only shows the bluetooth icon - the applet doesn't work vertically and only displays the icons across (if I move the bar to the top, it displays them all). Also, how can you hide the individual icons on it - I use only online services for my mail, etc, so the envelope icon is just wasting precious space (and I don't think there will be room for it, once the applet works vertically).

Beans

Re: Indicator Applet Issues in 10.04 Lucid

Even in horizontal displays, I'm not pleased with the integration of battery power, volume, and the little envelope into one panel applet. Is there any way to separate those capabilities so I could see how the battery is charged without having to see the volume or envelope?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would also like to know this. I have no use for the envelope thing. Also, I used to be able to just mouse over the volume icon to see what it was set to and then scroll to adjust it. The mouseover info doesn't show up anymore so that doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: Indicator Applet Issues in 10.04 Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by dagurb View Post
    I would also like to know this. I have no use for the envelope thing. Also, I used to be able to just mouse over the volume icon to see what it was set to and then scroll to adjust it. The mouseover info doesn't show up anymore so that doesn't work.
    A whole bunch of us testing Lucid Lynx complained bitterly about the "indicator thing" to basically no satisfactory response.

There are applets on there that I never use and can't get rid of without taking some of the ones I use with them, and it is a real pain to try to get the ones I want back on without the useless ones.

That's the way Ubuntu development wants it to work. Bundle stuff together with no regard to what the users want. Goes against the basic customizable principles that Shuttleworth espoused when he started Ubuntu.

Sorry 'bout that. We're stuck with it if we run Lucid Gnome.
    Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    A whole bunch of us testing Lucid Lynx complained bitterly about the "indicator thing" to basically no satisfactory response.

There are applets on there that I never use and can't get rid of without taking some of the ones I use with them, and it is a real pain to try to get the ones I want back on without the useless ones.

That's the way Ubuntu development wants it to work. Bundle stuff together with no regard to what the users want. Goes against the basic customizable principles that Shuttleworth espoused when he started Ubuntu.

Sorry 'bout that. We're stuck with it if we run Lucid Gnome.
    Jerry
    Wow! If that's the attitude they've taken then maybe I should just switch to Debian or Mint. I can make my peace with moving the window buttons since that's somewhat easily configurable but this simply will not stand.

Beans

Surely there is a way around this. We can't be stuck not able to control what shows up on our taskbars. This isn't Windows.

Beans

I agree. With UNR 9.10 I could put the cursor over the battery indicator to check status. Can't do that now for the battery, but doing the same for the wireless indicator right next to it still works. This is progress?

Beans

And on my new Lucid installation there even isn't a battery state indicator on the indicator applet... I guess I'll be back to KDE pretty soon... but any ideas how to actually configure the indicators on the indicator applet?
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans

Alternatively there is XFCE, I believe they're still doing it right, try Xubuntu... I'm going to be forced to move there now as well...

I'm glad to hear you guys complained bitterly, because I was really upset the last few days about it. I'm sorry to hear they did not pay attention, I am very unimpressed with the new version. It makes absolutely no sense to bundle, or to remove right click functions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dagurb View Post
    Wow! If that's the attitude they've taken then maybe I should just switch to Debian or Mint. I can make my peace with moving the window buttons since that's somewhat easily configurable but this simply will not stand.
    Sadly it appears that Mint 9 is also going to use this indicator panel according to their blog post, even though the screen shots seem to still show the more functional versions we are used to.

It is possible to get a functioning volume control restored, but the tooltip battery status for what I can tell is gone.

I am thinking the removal of tooltips is related to a least common denominator, where they remove that capability because you cannot "hover" with a touch screen device - just a guess...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast