Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there Remote control software for Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Is there Remote control software for Ubuntu?

Yeah if you dont have access to the firewall and it isnt uPnP you are a bit stuffed.

Not completely though, I would suggest if you are willing to put the work in you should investigate Reverse SSH Tunnels. this is effectively what the ShowMyPC service does, which is pretty stink that although using all this very linuxy technology for free under GPL, they do not support linux at the end of it.

You need a third party server (so "you", "middle man" and "target")that has SSH open to tunnel your traffic through to the target server. effectively both you and the target connect to the middle guy and he joins you together so you are talking to each other. This gets around firewalls as both yourself and the target are making outgoing connections and don't require incoming connections (which would be blocked by the firewall)

works very well I have set it up for some customers.
    Last edited by AntiBodies; April 30th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Beans

here is a good post on explaining the procedure

http://toic.org/2009/01/18/reverse-ssh-port-forwarding/

as you can see SSH is the king of remote access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by AntiBodies View Post
    which is pretty stink that although using all this very linuxy technology for free under GPL, they do not support linux at the end of it.
    The reason I boycott companies...

No Linux support -> I don't use them, nor do I recommend them.

And I write a (paper) letter explaining exactly that.

My two cents worth at supporting FOSS/OSS.

See my sig line below...
    "Free software is a matter of liberty, not price." -- Richard Stallman
    So don't forget to tip your software authors!

I'm a Fireman... what's YOUR superpower?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schwabdale View Post
    No, I will not have access to the router.
    If you have no control over the router you'll have to set it up to a port that the router doesn't block for incoming connections to the server. Perhaps 80 (web browsers) or 443 (ssl), I really don't know on that but as you've already been told ssh and freenx are a great way to do a secure remote desktop.
    See the guide below if you want to go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by schwabdale View Post
    I want to be able to remote control a Ubuntu PC. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    That can be done too with it.

True that it takes some setting up but once it's done I wouldn't trade the security and speed for your so called easy equivalents.
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiBodies View Post
    alas Ubuntu doesn't really have an easy equivalent to logmein, showmypc etc. I can hear people now say wtf vnc, nx!! I say easy equivalent for a reason and both words are relevant "easy" and "equivalent".
    If you want an easy equivalent then give this a try
    TeamViewer is ready to use, right after downloading! Download, execute, and get started! - Your first session will start in less than a minute.

Oh wait you said there was nothing for ubuntu.
    Last edited by 2hot6ft2; April 30th, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

Thats good news about Teamviewer. I knew of them but didnt know they had a linux client. could use that although I think Teamviewer is about helping out a team member or remote support etc so you would need a person at both ends to initiate the connection etc so not a always on connection etc but still useful and Teamviewer similar to the other services gets around firewalls by making outgoing connections.

a port that the router doesn't block for incoming connections to the server. Perhaps 80 (web browsers) or 443 (ssl)
    unless you are running a web server behind the router all incoming connections will be blocked. a standard/default setup for all routers/firewalls is all incoming blocked (internet can not get into your LAN on any port) and all outgoing is allowed (your LAN can get to all ports/addresses on the internet). so the only way that the internal server/workstation you are wanting to get connected to can be contacted from the internet directly is to have the firewall open incoming for the ports you want to use AND have the packets NATed (or Port Forwarded) to your internal server/workstation IP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12