Thread: Window duel boot

Beans

Angry Window duel boot

So I wanted a break from windows so I downloaded the latest ubuntu put on DVD and installed for a windows/ubuntu duel boot, and every thing was fine until I raged quit and got rid of windows all together. After a week of trying to get it back I have given up and come to the forum. I have got a recovery disk and a DVD with windows on it. When recovery disk is booted it get to a point when choosing a partition, I'm given on options and when I click forward it says doing this will delete all partitions then it starts, gets to o% and come up with error 3. When booting the windows disk, nothing happens and there is a normal boot. I have used G parted to create a unallocated partition... were do I go from there?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Window duel boot

Have you tried the windows disk when there was a unallocated partition?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zolf42 View Post
    ... were do I go from there?
    Start by providing some details ... like ... WHICH version of MS Windows?

Was the Windows OS preinstalled on the PC, or did you install it yourself?

If it was preinstalled, did the Recovery Disk come with the PC or did you create/burn it yourself?

IF it came with the PC, most probably what it did was boot into WinPE and then go searching for the restore image on the PC. I don't know what "error 3" means, but my guess is that it was unable to find the recovery image on the drive.

As to why it won't install, don't know offhand. It generally wants to install to unformatted space. If you created an empty partition with GParted, I would remove that and see if it will install to that space.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Do you need the windows itself or the data in the deleted partitions?