View Poll Results: What has your recent Wubi experience been like?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Other situation (please explain)

2 2.44%
  • I haven't set up a dual-boot in the last two years

8 9.76%
  • I've used both Wubi and trad. dual-boot - no problems with either one

10 12.20%
  • I've used both Wubi and trad. dual-boot - more problems with Wubi

14 17.07%
  • I've used both Wubi and trad. dual-boot - about equal problems with both

8 9.76%
  • I've used both Wubi and trad. dual-boot - more problems with trad. dual-boot

5 6.10%
  • I've used only Wubi for dual-boots - not-so-good exerience

4 4.88%
  • I've used only Wubi for dual-boots - good experience

9 10.98%
  • I've used only trad. dual-boots - not-so-good experience

0 0%
  • I've used only trad. dual-boots - good experience

22 26.83%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What has your recent Wubi experience been like?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What has your recent Wubi experience been like?

Trad. dual boots only. No-nonsente, to-the-point, Just Works™. Never seen the point of Wubi.

Beans
    Hidden!

I used Wubi for a while on my current laptop, but ran into this problem on one of my desktops a couple of versions ago.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I only used Wubi to dual-boot, and I haven't had any problems. I know Wubi relies on Windows, but I use Windows very little. The way I see it, when Ubuntu is used via Wubi, Windows isn't used at all, so I don't have to worry about Windows messing Ubuntu up. At least that's what I think.

That's just my opinion on Wubi from my experience. Also I read that I can't hibernate with Wubi, but I don't think ever had the need to hibernate my computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've tried WUBI, and had problems with it.

I prefer virtual machines or dual boot. Since virtual machines and dual boot are used on the most popular operating systems, more people know how to help if there is a problem.

A beginner needs the support of a community, and a community that is familiar with the product. IMHO, WUBI is not well know, and is distro specific, which limits the possibilities for support.

It is confusing for the helpful Ubuntu forum members when they are trying to providing help. For example, they don't always know the person is using WUBI, and are provide instructions referring to the sda partition when all the OP sees is a C: drive.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; April 30th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I've used Wubi with kubuntu 9.10, with no problems. I cannot run Wubi with the kubuntu 10.04 install disk. Windows keeps saying it doesn't see the disk.

My current install is 9.10 Wubi Kubuntu. When I responded affirmatively to the upgrade? request on my desktop, the install ran into numerous problems leaving my install unusable.

Nobody on the kubuntu forum seems to know much about wubi, so no joy there.

I really don't want to dual-boot as it's a thinkpad and there is some type of hidden partition holding restore files that I don't want to take a chance on not being able to access due to a dual boot setup.

When I asked on the kubuntu forum who knew about kubuntu Wubi, and where to go for help, they deleted the post!

Ah well, I'll get it sorted out eventually, it's just rather daunting and certain to discourage the average user from trying Wubi at all...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've never had the need to run more than one OS on the same computer thus far.

Beans

My first Linux experience was with a Wubi install on my XP laptop; I had some minor glitches to work out, and ended up re-installing a couple of times, but ultimately I used it comfortably for a few months until the Grub glitch. I was then comfortable enough with Linux to go for a full partition install. This install also had a little bit of weirdness, but nothing major.

I've heard people say that Wubi is good for a trial run, but not for long term use. I don't know why people think this, but both methods seemed to work ok along side my (rarely used) XP install.
    HP Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 768mb, ATI Radeon m7500
    Mint XFCE, Mint Isadora Fluxbox, #! Statler/CompizWM, Mint Katya, Windows XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by phredbull View Post
    I've heard people say that Wubi is good for a trial run, but not for long term use. I don't know why people think this, but both methods seemed to work ok along side my (rarely used) XP install.
    Same here, I just see Wubi as another install option. I even posted a topic yesterday and someone told me to get rid of it. If I wanted to try Ubuntu, then I'll use the Live CD. I've only used Wubi and never had a problem. I also rarely use Windows, I mainly use it for my iPod and playing some Windows games.

Though using Wubi does have its risks, for example if you need to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows, you'll lose Ubuntu since it's installed inside Windows like a program. If you're careful using Windows and scan for viruses and spyware regularly, then Wubi is fine in my opinion.

Also, in my experience, whenever I use Ubuntu via Wubi, Windows is not used. I've used Ubuntu via Wubi for days and when I boot Windows, my anti-virus is out of date. If Windows was being used, my anti-virus would update itself, but since Windows is not being used, it won't be up to date. This is only my guess based off of my own experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've used Wubi since 7.04 and had true dual boots and other than wubi installs being a bit slower the only issues I've had was the change to Grub2 and the update for grub messing it up. I blame that on the decision to go to grub2.
    Last edited by alzie; May 9th, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: use of rolleyes smiley to denote sarcasm :rolleyes:
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i had a bad experience with 9.10
    after updating it restarted and i couldn't go back in Ubuntu.
    had to delete Ubuntu.
    afterwards i was like eff this and had a fresh install with Ubuntu.
    now only Ubuntu on my comp!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." -Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast