Thread: How do i save files and create folders in var/www

Beans

How do i save files and create folders in var/www

Hello everyone this is my first post.

I am a web programmer and recently installed ubuntu to to use as a web development OS. I have run into a few problems that have got me stuck.

I have installed lamp successfully. How do i go about creating a new website project in the var/www folder. I open jedit and try to save a folder or file inside var/www using jedt and it refuses to let me create or save anythink in the var/www directory.

I have used the terminal to create a new folder and file inside the var/www directory and when i open the file with jedit or gedit and write some code into it it wont save the code either.

I am used to just creating a new directory and saving files into it with ease using windows so this is puzzling me a little. I also installed lamp server through the terminal and the phpmyadmin folder installed somewhere different from the var/www file.

If someone could please explain what i am doing wrong it would be real cool.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do i save files and create folders in var/www

Sounds like permissions issues. You will need write access (or you will need to be in a group that has write access) to /var/www

phpmyadmin should be accessible by going to

http://IPADDRESS/phpmyadmin

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you are here into the general forum to address basic knowledge to new comers, not devs, you might post into dev forum.

Beans

If you're going to develop directly from www then you'll have to run any editors and so forth with gksudo (as root). You can press alt+F2 and type
    Code:
    gksudo bluefish
    changing bluefish to whatever editor or program you wish to use.

Edit: Do NOT run your browser as root.
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Check out:

community/ApacheMySQLPHP#Virtual%20Hosts
    and
    community/FilePermissions

If you have any future questions, please feel free to ask.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Sounds like permissions issues. You will need write access (or you will need to be in a group that has write access) to /var/www

phpmyadmin should be accessible by going to

http://IPADDRESS/phpmyadmin
    How do i gain write access or be in a group? Cheers this forum is very helpfull and real quick with feedback

Beans

Wink Re: How do i save files and create folders in var/www

1 - Go to Applications > Accessories & select Terminal, copy & paste this command:
    gksudo nautilus
    that will open Terminal as root

2 - Navigate to the folder or file or drive you wish to gain permissions on, Right Click, select the Permissions tab

3 - Change the Owner drop-down menu to your name, then change Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, then File Access to Read & Write, then Group to your name, Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, File Access to Read & Write then click Apply Permissions To Enclosed Files.

You will now have full access to your folder or file or drive.
    Last edited by scouser73; April 28th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.