Thread: Setup complete! No such partition!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Setup complete! No such partition!

I installed Karmic Koala last night on an old box I'm going to be using as a home server. I dropped a new HDD in it and ran the setup. I got all the way through setup, the CD popped out and it told me to restart. When I did, I got a "no such partition; rescue>" message right after the BIOS. Figuring I'd done something wrong, I wiped the HDD, re-ran setup and got the same error.

The weird thing is that when I did a test run with the old 18GB HDD, it worked fine. Setup completed and Ubuntu came up perfectly after restart.

What am I doing wrong with this new HDD?
    REALEYES
    REALIZE
    REALLIES

Beans

Re: Setup complete! No such partition!

What are you selecting for the partitioning? Are you doing manual or just letting the setup choose how to slice up your drive?

Either way it shouldn't matter, but obviously there's some potential for mistakes if you do it manually.

Also, has the drive been wiped and the partition table deleted? I'm assuming you're starting with a fresh drive, nothing else on it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How big is the new HDD? If it's ginormous and you don't put a small (250mb-ish) /boot partition at the front of the drive, you can hit that error. (I've run into it in the past - it's infuriating). Go through the setup again, manually partition the drive, and make sure that /boot is the first partition on your new drive.

Typical simple setup:
    /boot - ~250MB
    swap - a few GB - adjust to your preference, based on available RAM
    / - leftover available space

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The new HDD is a 500GB PATA (IDE) drive.

I chose the default (guided: use the entire drive and set up LVM) option in setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BobVila View Post
    How big is the new HDD? If it's ginormous and you don't put a small (250mb-ish) /boot partition at the front of the drive, you can hit that error. (I've run into it in the past - it's infuriating). Go through the setup again, manually partition the drive, and make sure that /boot is the first partition on your new drive.

Typical simple setup:
    /boot - ~250MB
    swap - a few GB - adjust to your preference, based on available RAM
    / - leftover available space
    Should these all be Logical or Primary partitions? How do I jive it with LVM? Do I even need LVM?
    Last edited by stray; April 28th, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
    REALEYES
    REALIZE
    REALLIES

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd still set the /boot partition at the front of the drive; it <i>should</i> clear it up. If it doesn't and it turns out to be grub2 related, someone else will need to chime in - I haven't taken that plunge yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, sure enough, /boot has to be on its own partition at the start of the drive. Thanks, folks.
    REALEYES
    REALIZE
    REALLIES