Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu refuses to install on thinkpad X201

Beans

ubuntu refuses to install on thinkpad X201

I had at least gotten a mostly working setup via the 9.04 alternative install... I had a working system, except for one tiny problem: The system froze shortly 30 seconds after login, without fail.

I looked around, and the issue apparently was with my graphics card on the X201.

Here is the thinkwiki page for the laptop and the graphics card:
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X201
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

I had been attempting to manually update the kernel to 2.6.33 using .debs I found online - no luck.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.04 RC alt install CD... it installed fine, but when it starts up, it now just goes to a black screen.

I am very desperate, I am very close to sending this laptop back to Lenovo, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get a working Ubuntu (or any other distro) install going on an X201, please share any details you can remember!
    Last edited by gregnorc; April 28th, 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Beans

Re: ubuntu refuses to install on thinkpad X201

I just figured out how to install 10.04 RC on my X201 yesterday. The key is inserting the options "xforcevesa i915.modeset=0" in the boot line for the installer and then the installed system itself. Worked for me.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/554569

Beans

Just got a new x201 today and after some effort, I was able to get Ubuntu 9.10 running. (Though the release candidate version of 10.04 failed; another post makes it sound like it may be possible with the alternative install...)

To get 9.10 installed, I ran the install in "safe graphics" mode. The install then goes through without a hitch. Upon boot, my resolution was off and my wireless didn't work. Some googling indicated that kernel version 2.6.32 fixes the graphics issues; they also fixed my wireless issues. You can get .deb files for version 2.6.32 here. Just install them in the order listed on that page "dpkg -i <filename>", then run "sudo update-grub". For some reason, even after this I had some graphics issues upon boot, but they have magically disapeared and everything seems fine now. The graphics issues may have come from booting into the older Linux version. Be sure to install the new kernel on the first run of Ubuntu after install; otherwise, you may never get in.

Hope that helps!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Agnaramasi View Post
    I just figured out how to install 10.04 RC on my X201 yesterday. The key is inserting the options "xforcevesa i915.modeset=0" in the boot line for the installer and then the installed system itself. Worked for me.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/554569
    Which image did you use? Alt or main? 32 or 64 bit? Server or home? Any details would be helpful!

Also, how/when in the process do I add that boot parameter? (Where do I get the boot command line?)
    Last edited by gregnorc; April 29th, 2010 at 01:22 AM.

Beans

I am using linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic 64bit.
    When the grub menu loads (you need to hold shift after the bios screen), I select my kernel image and press 'e' to edit the boot parameters. At the end of the line beginning with "Linux" I append the option "i915.modeset=0". Turns out I can omit the "xforcevesa" option. On my system the modified line looks like this:
    Code:
    linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=3c809b01-30e9-434d-8dc8-96adf09007b1 ro   quiet splash i915.modeset=0
    Then you press ctrl+x to boot with the modified parameter.
    To make the change semi-permanent (it will last until a kernel update), I added the "i915.modeset=0" to the appropriate line of the the kernel's main menuentry section in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Apparently this is not how to alter the boot menu properly, but it works for me.
    To install 10.04 from the regular livecd you will have to similarly modify the boot parameters of the installation media. I believe I did this by pressing F6 and then Esc from the live cd main menu.

Beans

For any who might want full details: I was able to install Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop (released version) yesterday using the main install disks (not alt). I did this by including the options "xforcevesa i915.modeset=0" on the boot line for the default install -- I needed both these options in order to get it to work. After install, I edited the grub boot command (hold down shift until after the BIOS screen to be able to edit boot options) to include these options in the kernel call. I then edited /etc/default/grub, setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa i915.modeset=0", and then called "sudo update-grub". Worked like a charm! I'm loving 10.04!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Agnaramasi View Post
    I am using linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic 64bit.
    When the grub menu loads (you need to hold shift after the bios screen), I select my kernel image and press 'e' to edit the boot parameters. At the end of the line beginning with "Linux" I append the option "i915.modeset=0". Turns out I can omit the "xforcevesa" option. On my system the modified line looks like this:
    Code:
    linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=3c809b01-30e9-434d-8dc8-96adf09007b1 ro   quiet splash i915.modeset=0
    Then you press ctrl+x to boot with the modified parameter.
    To make the change semi-permanent (it will last until a kernel update), I added the "i915.modeset=0" to the appropriate line of the the kernel's main menuentry section in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Apparently this is not how to alter the boot menu properly, but it works for me.
    To install 10.04 from the regular livecd you will have to similarly modify the boot parameters of the installation media. I believe I did this by pressing F6 and then Esc from the live cd main menu.
    Can you be a little more specific?

Right now what I do is upon boot, I hit F12, and select my USB CD rom drive as the boot drive, then hold shift

I am asked the following questions (Y/N), and answer yes to each...

Load Boot graphics (Y/N)?
    Detect display size (Y/N)?

Then it says "initalizing gfx code" and spits out a bunch of hex, and tells me to press a key to continue. I do so. Then more hex is displayed, then I press any key again, then it goes to a black screen...

If I hit "n" for load boot graphics I get a different screen, but do not see any kernel images. It says it will start installing automatically in 4 seconds and does NOT list any kernel images that I could "hit e to edit"

I am using the Desktop install CD for Ubuntu 10.04 RC, if you could give me some visual clues/hints so I can get to the right spot to enter those changes it would be very helpful... I am not very familiar with how to get to this boot parameters area and any information you have would help greatly

Beans

You don't have to hold shift when booting from the live cd. The boot options are specified within the live cd menu, not grub. Let the live cd main menu load (the list of options like 'repair existing installation' and 'try ubuntu') and then press F6 and then ESC to edit the boot options for ubuntu on the live cd. Sorry I can't be more specific...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amy_cgi View Post
    For any who might want full details: I was able to install Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop (released version) yesterday using the main install disks (not alt). I did this by including the options "xforcevesa i915.modeset=0" on the boot line for the default install -- I needed both these options in order to get it to work. After install, I edited the grub boot command (hold down shift until after the BIOS screen to be able to edit boot options) to include these options in the kernel call. I then edited /etc/default/grub, setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa i915.modeset=0", and then called "sudo update-grub". Worked like a charm! I'm loving 10.04!
    Did you have to do anything special to get the boot screen?

Like, when I boot my 10.04 RC cd, it works fine... I can edit the boot param and start the process, but not with the main cd. (I'm using a usb dvd drive obviously since its an X201)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amy_cgi View Post
    Question: How did you run sudo update grub? In the live session, or afterwards, cause I did this... I edited the boot parem, then after install, I wrote GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa i915.modeset=0"... I did this from within the live image, by writing to the hard drive. But when I try and run update-grub it gives me the error:

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?)
    And booting to the hard drive still gives a black screen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast