Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Beans

Re: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

You guys are lifesavers. I have finally been able to boot my laptop with the "i915.modeset=1" fix outlined above. Thank you soooo much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Unicast View Post
    Hmmmm....

Even with the "i915.modeset=1" kernel option I have been getting occasional black screens with X trying to restart (unsuccessfully) in low res mode.

I've taken the extreme step of installing a newer kernel (2.6.34-020634rc6) and removed the above kernel option from grub.

Still testing, but seems more stable than the stock kernel that ships with Lucid.
    Fortunately my D400 has shown no signs of the black screens with the multiple boots yesterday. My BIOS is A08.
    Dell Precision M6300 laptop - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    IBM Thinkpad 600E laptop - Puppy Linux 4.3.1

Beans

Angry Re: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

2 Newly burned CD's to install 10.04 would not even boot the PC.
    Booted my new Toshiba laptop back to 9.1 and did the upgrade from there. Now 10.04 boots up to a black screen after the music. Even if I leave it on for an hour, it never changes. Ctrl+Alt+F1, etc... does nothing. Seems like this was released too soon again!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Same problem here.
    Ubuntu 10.4 x64 - two Dell monitors connected through DVI and VGA.
    None of the workarounds is helping - using the latest Nvidia drivers.

This is a show stopper for me. Please advise.
    .................................................. .............................................
    -What we've got here is...failure to communicate
    -Cool Hand Luke

Beans

It's a bummer that ATI graphic card support has slipped again. It was really good for 9.10. However, a quick work around for me was to copy my old xorg.conf file over the top of the one that the dist upgrade created and I'm back in business!

Perhaps I'll need to check if that old xorg.conf is optimally configured for the new distro but if it works I probably won't bother. I've been enjoying a life without worrying about xorg.conf!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by twrock View Post
    Yes, it does work. I've been working on this all day. I just got done reinstalling to see what the truly necessary steps would be for a fresh install on my Dell 700m.

If I add "i915.modeset=1" to the the boot from a USB stick (I suppose CD will be the same), I then end up at the error screen "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode". I clicked OK, then "Troubleshoot the error" then "Edit configuration", then edited "vesa" to "intel". Then I "closed", "cancelled" and the hit "Restart X". That got me into live mode with full screen support. Once there, I installed as usual.

After reboot, I hit "e" at the GRUB screen, and added "i915.modeset=1" at the end of the line with "quiet splash". Then hit Ctrl-X to finish booting. It all went off without a hitch.
    Great ! Thank you very much ! It worked for me as well on a Dell D400.

The trouble with these bugs is that they cast a serious shadow for the newcomers on ubuntu. I was installing Lucid on my friend's computer who is not quite as "geek" as I am. I was precisely saying "and you'll see, Linux has become very smooth to use now" when the screen got blank... The half an hour or so spent in finding a solution (until I came to this post) did not reassure her at all. But well, I suppose this is a discussion for another thread.
    Thanks again for sharing this knowledge !

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1468152&page=3 Hope this helps!

Check that your BIOS hasn't got a floppy disk enabled if you are experiencing a poor boot time after log in
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2x 2.33Ghz, FP-IN9 SLI mobo, 2Gb 800Mhz RAM, 256mb GeForce 7300 LE graphics, 120Gb IDE HD, 400Gb IDE HD,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

None of the beta's worked and neither did the release on a compaq presario desktop computer with AMD 64 cpu 2 gigabyte ram and 360 GB HD grafics is a Nvidia 6150 LE built in Monitor is a Visio HDtv 26 inch. I keep getting a blank screen or a no signal once in awhile I can get the first screen and when I tell it to run with out making changes to my system it starts and then the screen shuts down with no signal and then starts up again then it goes to sleep and I get a blank screen. I know that it has finished booting up because I get the boot sound when it is supposed to show the desktop but all I get is a blank screen. It is a graphics problem Monitor or graphics card. I don't know which. 9:10 is working flawlessly for me, but I want a LTR Don't know what to do have tried all of the help codes noapic, ect.
    MH:
    confused:

Beans

On closer inspection the only difference between my good xorg.conf file and the bad one that the distribution upgrade made was the line that read "Virtual 2048 779".

My xorg.conf file now reads:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1400 1861
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "ati"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "False"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@mhbell do you see the grub bootloader onscreen at boot. If yes follow post number 14 in this thread

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast